Whats this effect called and how do you do it???

• Premium Member
I cant find the name or how to do this effect.

Its the little red and yellow flashy things in this clip where they kinda flicker around transistions. I have Premiere 2.0 and AE with Borris continuem and cine look2.

That frame flashing is the look of a film camera starting up. Perhaps that may be achievable with the Cine Look program, although I've never used it, so can't be sure. (You may also be able to achieve that effect by smashing a GL-1, although I'd advise you resist the temptation.)

Its exposed film - like at the head or tail of a 16mm daylight load, often achieved by slightly opening and closing the film door whilst the camera is operating.

I think though for the less adventurous there is a collection of these available as files that can be overlaid in yer favorite software - A friend tells me he has spotted the same ones being used over and over again in many an advert and music vid...

• Premium Member
I cant find the name or how to do this effect.

Its the little red and yellow flashy things in this clip where they kinda flicker around transistions. I have Premiere 2.0 and AE with Borris continuem and cine look2.

link

Thanks

It's the effect of a film camera coming up to speed but you can do it with this software.

coming up to speed ? wouldn't that result in simply over exposed film ?

I thought the red cast came from the fact the film was being hit from light that was far from being perpendicular and therefore exposing the red layer in much higher proportion than the others ... (or is it the opposite of red, I get confused with color neg/+ve stuff)

Otherwise wouldn't pulled film have a red cast also ?

Just a guess though, I haven't read this from any cinematographers bible or anything - but I'm interested in learning

• Premium Member
coming up to speed ? wouldn't that result in simply over exposed film ?

I thought the red cast came from the fact the film was being hit from light that was far from being perpendicular and therefore exposing the red layer in much higher proportion than the others ... (or is it the opposite of red, I get confused with color neg/+ve stuff)

Otherwise wouldn't pulled film have a red cast also ?

Just a guess though, I haven't read this from any cinematographers bible or anything - but I'm interested in learning

actually the white (over exposed) stuff is simply from the camera coming up to speed. the red/yellowish cast stuff is only at the head and tail of full loads of negative stock.

If you have AFX 7 then check out Stu Maschwitz's 'Film Burn' preset. It automates most of the settings and adds some deviation into the overexposure of each colour channel.

http://prolost.blogspot.com/2006/11/film-burn.html

Otherwise you can manually keyframe an overexposure effect by adjusting the gamma/brightness/gain over a few frames.

You can also use an additive dissolve over a few frames between clips - it gives a similar effect.