Film-Look on VHS

Christian Blas

The short answer is no.

For reasons of latitude, contrast, color reproduction, framerate and many others. No.

Well, okay, but those factors are the same for any video based format.

However you can still deinterlace footage and record back to VHS. And if you are using SVHS things will stand up better. Though Christian, why are you using VHS?

Three reasons:

1. Its all I got for now.

2. Its cheap.

3. Where am I to get a SVHS camcorder (cheaply) off the street instead of the internet?

Besides, I don't want to use DV or any digital format out there. I want to stay with analoge until I get rich, but for now I stay with the warm touch of analouge.

Edited by Christian Blas

Besides, I don't want to use DV or any digital format out there. I want to stay with analoge until I get rich, but for now I stay with the warm touch of analouge.

This guy's still livin' in the late 90's! You don't have to be rich to shoot & edit digital. Do you have a linear editing system to work on with your VHS tapes? You'd get better quality if you shot on Hi8 and edited on a cheap non-linear program like Pinnacle or something.

But anyway, if you're shooting VHS and want to get close to a "film look". I'm afraid it's only possible if you shoot black & white. I never liked shooting VHS or Hi8 in color because I was severely unhappy with their abilities. But I always enjoyed their b&w look, almost like Super8 film look (but not quite).

• Premium Member
is it possible to acheive a film look to VHS products and camcorders?
Can you make acrylics look like oils? Or how about making ink look like pencil? Film look more like video? You should embrace your brushes for what they are and what they can do. Trying to make them look like something they are not is foolish and misguided.