3D cinematography

Also, I have to agree with Leo. The examples of theatrical 3-D I have seen in recent years (not including IMAX) have left me rather disappointed. I'm sure the studios are trying hard to breathe a little new life into the medium, but the 2-camera polarized material is still really heads above the CG 3-D, which has been anaglyph. The red/blue technique destroys the colors, and half the time I can't even tell what I'm looking at or where in the 3-D plane the subjects are supposed to be.

CG is fine for creating 2-D special effects, but from what I've seen so far there's an awful lot of room for improvement on the 3-D score. I would think it would be more economical to run the 2 camera system rather than pay animators to create dimension out of thin air.

From my understanding the plan for future 3D releases in cinemas is to use a passive (polarised) system instead of an active (shutter) system. The type of stereo system used (anaglyph, active, passive) to project the film is unrelated to the capture process, so it doesn't matter if your film is animated or live action, you still need a left and right image to create the stereo 3D effect.

In 3D computer graphics the 3rd dimension is created using the same concept as shooting live action stereo - by filming (rendering) the scene from a two camera rig.

Made a 3D film a couple of days back.

Cool. Any chance of posting it?

Any chance of posting it?

Yeh, but the cameras were too far apart and its gets pretty mashy when combined with 1 sec exposures on a moving dolly - I'll try to pull some of the good scenes out though ...

heres a still:

722834653l.jpg

We are still working on getting the anaglyph colors right for the gels we have here to view through, the red gel is much stronger than the cyan so we are fiddling with levels and that confuses other factors - its like playing 3D chess with Spock, plans within plans!

You can get an ok/crappy image from that still - the better stuff (that actually worked quite well/ok) we were viewing by simply crossing our eyes, its hasn't been put through the filters yet as we decided to can it and this Sat we are going to do another run down Queen St - daytime, keeping it really simple with cameras right where the eyes would be to see how 'standard' we can get it ...

gawd - whats the use, youtube has absolutely ripped the res to turds!

anyhoo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBfUNi-uDjc

cyan filter right eye ('peacock' 115 or 116 I think) - Red left eye ... (26 gel)

Thats from the earlier footage - the stuff we shot yesterday is still in the can... Should be much better but I'm waiting for some warmer weather to develop it... (it wont dry otherwise)