"Scanning 16mm to file but the retaining the film edges"

Nick Mulder

Evening folks,

I've set up my Bolex EL to have a a sync output so I can attach a stills style flash and use it for short bursts of 12fps stills photography and have ended up with 30' of little 1 to 8 or so frame sequences of 12fps 'stills' ... (after 8 flashes the strobe cap would run out of juice)

Projected they make a very stoppy-starty movie and what I'd like to do with it instead of a telecine is to turn selected segments into still scans of about 10 frames or so but retaining all the frames edges and sprockets so you see the actual film as is (a vertical strip)

I could do this with a simple scanner with transparency setting (the 4x5 backlight on the lid thingy), but I imagine the resolution would be low ...

Stills photo labs do 35mm and 120 film in drum scans - but not 16mm as far as I'm aware ... I'm thinking they can probably hack a system together to get a nice result but I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone have any solutions or methods from the telecine/film scan world ?

I was thinking perhaps enlarging the film onto photo paper (its B+W reversal), scanning the paper then inverting it in photoschlock but that would involve setting up my darkroom in this heat ... :mellow:

Soooo...

Any other suggestions/thoughts/methods ?

cheers + Rock the Casbah,

Nick

• Site Sponsor
Evening folks,

I've set up my Bolex EL to have a a sync output so I can attach a stills style flash and use it for short bursts of 12fps stills photography and have ended up with 30' of little 1 to 8 or so frame sequences of 12fps 'stills' ... (after 8 flashes the strobe cap would run out of juice)

Projected they make a very stoppy-starty movie and what I'd like to do with it instead of a telecine is to turn selected segments into still scans of about 10 frames or so but retaining all the frames edges and sprockets so you see the actual film as is (a vertical strip)

I could do this with a simple scanner with transparency setting (the 4x5 backlight on the lid thingy), but I imagine the resolution would be low ...

Stills photo labs do 35mm and 120 film in drum scans - but not 16mm as far as I'm aware ... I'm thinking they can probably hack a system together to get a nice result but I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone have any solutions or methods from the telecine/film scan world ?

I was thinking perhaps enlarging the film onto photo paper (its B+W reversal), scanning the paper then inverting it in photoschlock but that would involve setting up my darkroom in this heat ... :mellow:

Soooo...

Any other suggestions/thoughts/methods ?

cheers + Rock the Casbah,

Nick

Any flying spot telecine (Cintel, Nova, Millenium, etc.) and the Sony Vialta can zoom out (optically) to see the frame and sprockets on the right side of the film. If you wanted a 720x486 res scan then a SD telecine can do most of what you want, if you transfer at 30fps to NTSC video you could then dump that into a frame sequence (tiff, jpeg, etc.) and de-interlace in photoslop. Rinse and repeat on a HD scanner and you'll have 1080x1440 (std 16) to work with but costs go up and maybe this is all too complex.

You could also fix up a rig on a lightbox to hold the 16mm film and then setup a decent D-Slr to then take a picture frame by frame, a bit of work making the rig and a bit of time photographing but you could control the framing and get everything including perfs, keycode numbers, etc in a hi-res form.

-Rob-