Stop Motion - Exposure Compensation

Bryce Fortner

Hello,

I'm shooting some stop motion tomorrow on an older Eclair ACL. The camera's motor has been modified for stop motion and holds one frame for 3/8 of a second. I've been trying to do the math in my head, but was curious if anyone here had an idea of how I should compensate my meter to get the proper exposure... I appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

• Premium Member

If my math is right that's equivalent to 1.33 fps. Set your meter to 1fps and close down 1/3 stop, or else find an ASA & frame rate combination that gives you that number. But this is only theory -- test!

• Premium Member
If my math is right that's equivalent to 1.33 fps. Set your meter to 1fps and close down 1/3 stop, or else find an ASA & frame rate combination that gives you that number. But this is only theory -- test!

Hi,

I would go with 1 FPS or 1/2 second exposure if your meter does not read in FPS. Reciprocity factor starts to rear it's head so slight overexposure is a good thing.

Stephen

• Premium Member
I would go with 1 FPS or 1/2 second exposure if your meter does not read in FPS. Reciprocity factor starts to rear it's head so slight overexposure is a good thing.

Yes, of course I meant open up one third from 1fps, not close down. Been shooting overnights... :blink: