what filter is this?

There maybe more then one way to do it but I have used a filter called a "Vari Cross" that can cause flares like that. It is basically a star-cross filter except that the flare angles are adjustable. Setting both angles horizontal will produce an effect like that.

Edited by David A Venhaus

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

If what you are talking about is the horizontal lens flare, that would be a streak filter. Personally I've used 4x5 3m Streak filters to do the same thing. Try asking a camera shop for streak filters and that should be a start.

• Premium Member

Now that the photo is posted, that's a streak filter faking an anamorphic lens flare. Otherwise the reddish ring flare around the light would have been flattened horizontally once the image was expanded by 2X to look normal (if shot anamorphic.)

• Premium Member

With todays possibilities in postpro I wouldn't shoot such a thing in camera but leave it up to Knoll or whatever plugin.

If you combine filters this looks extremely realistic. Flares in camera have other side effects you might not want that the plug-in flares do not have.

All of the following are fake lensflares added in postpro. The shots look great because their light sources were tracked and some parameters were animated on the overlying flare effect.

post-39275-1237825871.jpg

post-39275-1237825882.jpg

post-39275-1237825891.jpg

post-39275-1237827677.jpg

• 1 year later...

does anyone know what filter is causing this flare effect?

13.jpg

Could be anamorphic lens or it could be the Vantage Blue Streak - an insanely expensive filter made by an outfit in germany that can also be accomplished with a BLue Streak from The Filter Gallery in New York for about $450 for a PV size. See below. Frame grabs from Human Target

post-46733-12750598205208.jpg

post-46733-12750602993522.jpg

• 1 year later...

With todays possibilities in postpro I wouldn't shoot such a thing in camera but leave it up to Knoll or whatever plugin.

If you combine filters this looks extremely realistic. Flares in camera have other side effects you might not want that the plug-in flares do not have.

All of the following are fake lensflares added in postpro. The shots look great because their light sources were tracked and some parameters were animated on the overlying flare effect.

I disagree it can be done in post, and these samples do not look great to me, sorry

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

That is a frame from the Fox action series I shot, Human Target. The filter was the very first prototype of the Filter Gallery's BLUE STREAK . The show was supposed to look like a big action movie and I had fun using them - sometimes over using them in season one but the show runner who took over in season 2 hated them and put the kibosh on their use.

• 3 weeks later...

Schneider makes a series of streaking filters that are available in different colors.

Schneider also has a "lending library" of their filters for testing purposes. So if you want to check them out for yourself, you can do so at no cost. You may have to pick them up in person. Just contact Schneider directly to find out.

Also, I agree with Harry Capota; a flare, or ANY filter, does not have the same effect in post as it does in camera. Analog filters affect objects the scene differently according to their placement in relation to the light and their distance from the camera. These subtle changes are not easily replicated in post.