NEED HELP IN THE UK!

Hi all, if this is in the wrong thread, please feel free to move it.

OK, on to my dilema. I'm shooting a silent 16mm short next weekend and I just got a call that I hate. The camera package I was promised by a private owner has become unavailable. Not uncommon since it was going to be loaned to me for free. So I need to com up with a replacement for cheap as free, or at least cheap. I'll take anything that works, an ARRI S(B), Aaton, whatever, just need something to put the film in that's not a wind up (long takes are happening making spring driven cameras out). Any advice?

While this isn't life or death, I've become intensely fond of the project and would love to see this through, I'm getting to experiment in areas I've not gotten to before, from mixing stocks, to using stockings as filters. The director and I are funding it ourselves and it will be a two day shoot in Notting Hill.

Thanks for any and all assistance.

Just a little update,

Got my camera problem solved, I'm a go for Sat and Sunday. I've got my lighting package, a great gaffer, and my film stock. All I need now is to make this film happen, and hopefully have a little sun over the weekend.

I'm completely jazzed about making this happen, and all for 300 quid. Being young and crazy with a camera package. I'll post some stills of the production.

• 2 weeks later...
> I'm from Reading.

So what are you doing in LA, other than "making a living?"

Phil

Phil,

Really, just get yourself an H1 or O1 visa and get yer ass over here, then if you still cant make a go of it, at least you'll stop bending our ears :)

J

Edited by John Allardice

• Premium Member

> just get yourself an H1 or O1 visa

Quite.

Unfortunately while I am clearly very clever, I don't have very many formal expressions of that fact, so it's not as easy as all that...

Recent research by an obsessive family member has revealed that my family has been low-level farm labourers in the southeast UK since before the Magna Carta was written, so I have about as many ways out as... uh... someone with his feet set in a block of concrete.

Phil

> just get yourself an H1 or O1 visa

Quite.

Unfortunately while I am clearly very clever, I don't have very many formal expressions of that fact, so it's not as easy as all that...

Recent research by an obsessive family member has revealed that my family has been low-level farm labourers in the southeast UK since before the Magna Carta was written, so I have about as many ways out as... uh... someone with his feet set in a block of concrete.

Phil

actually, although it's not highly publicised, you don't need a degree to get an H1-b visa... Just three years work experience per year you would have been studying, and they count A-levels as a year of college.

so you'd only need 9 years work experience.

Have you got that?

• Premium Member

I do have a degree, but it's from a completely forgettable ex-poly.

No; the problem is finding someone to employ my rather eclectic mix of skills... and of course, if you're not -in- the US, you can't exactly hunt for work there.

Phil

I do have a degree, but it's from a completely forgettable ex-poly.

No; the problem is finding someone to employ my rather eclectic mix of skills... and of course, if you're not -in- the US, you can't exactly hunt for work there.

Phil

The question is, is the US ready for Phil Rhodes?

;)