Motion Control - Comparison, noise, stability...

Guest Frederick Reid

Guest Frederick Reid

Hello everyone. I'm a Montreal filmmaker and I would like to through a few questions at you:

1- What are the most complex shots you know of that have been designed with motion control rigs ?

2- How do the Pacific Motion Control rigs (gazelle, zebra) compare with Mark Roberts? (milo, cyclop) ?

3- According to info I gathered, even though the Milo is supposed to be utterly stable, there are some vibration issues when using certain axis of the robot with long lenses. Of course, I intend to run some tests prior to shooting, but I was wondering if any of you out there experienced that sort of problem? I am planning to use an Angenieux Optimo 24-290 but I am wondering if I?ll be able to use the full range of the zoom?

4- I know the Milo is quite noisy. Since I would need to record sound on the set, I was wondering if there were moco rigs that were quieter.

Thanks a bunch for your input !

fr

• Premium Member
Hello everyone. I'm a Montreal filmmaker and I would like to through a few questions at you:

1- What are the most complex shots you know of that have been designed with motion control rigs ?

2- How do the Pacific Motion Control rigs (gazelle, zebra) compare with Mark Roberts? (milo, cyclop) ?

3- According to info I gathered, even though the Milo is supposed to be utterly stable, there are some vibration issues when using certain axis of the robot with long lenses. Of course, I intend to run some tests prior to shooting, but I was wondering if any of you out there experienced that sort of problem? I am planning to use an Angenieux Optimo 24-290 but I am wondering if I?ll be able to use the full range of the zoom?

4- I know the Milo is quite noisy. Since I would need to record sound on the set, I was wondering if there were moco rigs that were quieter.

Thanks a bunch for your input !

fr

Hi,

The Milo & Cyclops is more stable & faster then a Gazelle or Zebra but are several times the price.

Maintenance of a motion control can have a big effect on smoothness, I know somebody that spent £100,000 + on his Milo, ran far smoother after that!

I would avoid a long heavy zoom, more mass at the camera head will cause more vibrations/wobbles. The camera probably wont be balanced that well either, depending on which pan tilt roll head is used. If it's a slimline head the camera can't be moved at all.

For macro shots you have to be very careful with movement.

All moco rigs are very noisy, Milo uses servo motors that are quieter than steppers, however if the rig makes a big move it will be VERY noisy. No way can you record sync sound that is usable IMHO.

Stephen

All moco rigs are very noisy, Milo uses servo motors that are quieter than steppers, however if the rig makes a big move it will be VERY noisy. No way can you record sync sound that is usable IMHO.

Stephen

That is unless he uses the "coffee grinder" trick ;-)

Guest Frederick Reid

Karl,

Thanks for your reply on my post on moco. Could you expand on the "coffee grinder trick" you mentioned ?

Thanks !

fr

Never mind. I just got up and I think the humor part of my brain isn't on yet. Better get my own coffee grinder going...

Cheers !

fr

Karl,

Thanks for your reply on my post on moco. Could you expand on the "coffee grinder trick" you mentioned ?

Thanks !

fr

Never mind. I just got up and I think the humor part of my brain isn't on yet. Better get my own coffee grinder going...

Cheers !

fr

Haha, thanks, now you gave ME a good laugh!