How do people feel about the CP-16s?

Galen Carter-Jeffrey

• Premium Member
I shot some stuff on my school's cp-16. It looks good for the most part, but the lack of registration pin gave me some kind of weird "ghosting effect." Is there anything I can do to avoid this problem in the future?

I attached a screen that shows what I am talking about.

Shutter timing?

Internal reflections in the lens?

hard to tell from one still. was the shuject moving or still, what is the object in their nose suposed to be?

I see a slight halo above the mystery object, and a shadow on the left of the nose, is that what you are talking about?

• Premium Member
The string around his nose is what i am talking about.

That is not there in life just in the film? Does it move arround or is it in the same place on every frame? does it appear in the one shot or the entire roll?

were you using a lens hood/matte box?

Looks like aftermath of de-interlacing and telecine. 100% not the shutter, cuz it would be vertical not horizontal. BTW, his nose is also ghosted, he (or the camera) were moving in the previous frame.

Look at your negative. See if you could see it on there. If so, look for something reflective in the camera, next to the film plane/gate etc.. I hightly doubt it's on your negative.

...edit...

100% in consensus with Patrick

If you do see it on your eng -

It could also be emulsion from the previous 30 frames or so rubbing off onto the next wind.

Edited by Dennis Kisilyov

the first time I saw the camera I was like AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

but little by little I started to played with it and I had fun ....

is not an Sr or an Aaton.... jeee is not even an NPR.... it has it's own style... you have to definatly have it serviced if you want it running nice and clean....

I've used the CP16R a couple times and its an ok camera. Takes a little getting used to, but if its well serviced and running well, there's no reason you can't do good stuff with it. A bit unweildy for hand held work, but you can do it!

Just remember to leave enough slack in the loops when you load or the mag will jam.

K.

I shot a low budget feature on a CP16R. Loved the camera. I think it had done a tour of Nam in the 70's and we all gave it the respect it deserved.

When I started the editing process however, I discovered that the camera's crystal sync had not worked. All audio from the dialogue scenes would wander off like a drunk dog. Luckily, our film was a comedy and this unexpected 'bonus' was used to our advantage. I still like the CP16s. Just make darn sure that you service that bad boy, and know that everything is seaworthy before you start.