1st RED Movie...

Jim Jannard

"Director Timur Bekmambetov of Bazlevs Film in Moscow, has chosen the RED ONE digital camera for all the digital cinematography used in Universal Pictures', WANTED, staring Angelia Jolie, Morgan Freeman and James McAvoy. Though the body of the movie will be shot in film, there is a substantial digital component to the filming which will be used by Bekmambetov's VFX and production company in Russia. Wanted begins shooting in Prague in April, 2007."

Jim

"Director Timur Bekmambetov of Bazlevs Film in Moscow, has chosen the RED ONE digital camera for all the digital cinematography used in Universal Pictures', WANTED, staring Angelia Jolie, Morgan Freeman and James McAvoy. Though the body of the movie will be shot in film, there is a substantial digital component to the filming which will be used by Bekmambetov's VFX and production company in Russia. Wanted begins shooting in Prague in April, 2007."

Jim

So is it going to be Boris or Natasha?

I'm sure I heard that a production in the U.K was going to be testing it out around about now... from some magazine person.

Unless you mean the first 'big film'.

Not sure where you got your info... but I have no knowledge of anyone in the UK getting one of the 1st cameras or having access to one.

Jim

Though the body of the movie will be shot in film, there is a substantial digital component to the filming which will be used by Bekmambetov's VFX and production company in Russia. Wanted begins shooting in Prague in April, 2007."

Whoa! So the first commercial outing of the RED is going to be intercut with film, AND you're not picking a production that would still be a success no matter what they shot it on, unlike some companies I could name :P

I'm impressed.

I think Jannard has me on "ignore" but I thought I'd say it anyway :D

Guest TJ Williams

usually the part shot with video ala "24" is with some low end DV HDV type camera to get a "video look" to duplicat a secruity camera a news broadcast etc etc....That distinction may be a problem with a 4K image, I'm also curious as to what type of "red footage" we are going to see?

Edited by TJ Williams

usually the part shot with video ala "24" is with some low end DV HDV type camera to get a "video look" to duplicat a secruity camera a news broadcast etc etc....That distinction may be a problem with a 4K image, I'm also curious as to what type of "red footage" we are going to see?

Not what you just described...

Jim

The press release Jim quoted seemed to indicate that the RED camera would chiefly be used for VFX work. Capturing background & foreground plates with a Digital Cinematography camera is an excellent use of a device such as the RED One, since any footage shot on film for this would have to be scanned anyway. By shooting in 4K, it is even possible to do "moves" inside a frame or recompose shots within the resolution. I think a good deal of the early and ongoing production that RED One and other high resolution camera systems will see is in the VFX world and rightly so.

The press release Jim quoted seemed to indicate that the RED camera would chiefly be used for VFX work. Capturing background & foreground plates with a Digital Cinematography camera is an excellent use of a device such as the RED One, since any footage shot on film for this would have to be scanned anyway. By shooting in 4K, it is even possible to do "moves" inside a frame or recompose shots within the resolution. I think a good deal of the early and ongoing production that RED One and other high resolution camera systems will see is in the VFX world and rightly so.

I won't speak for Timur, but other directors and DP's have told us that the image is not the reason why they will use RED as a VFX or second camera in the beginning. The primary reason is that the camera is not fully feature enabled as of today and it will take some time to get studios comfortable with the risk of a new camera. We expect that one success will lead to others (actually, there are several in the works now). We have been told that the major advantages of RED to film are 1. the image quality, 2. the convenience of the workflow, and 3. the cost of production. In that order.

We are pretty happy with the response to our project. We still have a lot of work to do. After all, we started from scratch just 15 months ago.

I hope all, including the respectful skeptics, will take a look at our program at NAB to see why it is a candidate for major motion picture productions, as well as indie projects.

Jim

Edited by Jim Jannard

Dear Jim

This is going to be the first time that I speak about Red

I feel skepticism is natural when someone is trying to create something out of the blue.

I think the Digital vs film thing is over rated so much, is so annoying, both ends should just shut up and understand that we( the people) shouldn't put barriers to our imagination.

That said, Jim I respect you as an inventor from trying something new and not settle for what we have.

Yes, you probably knew that you where going to have skeptics running around in a world where people don't believe anymore, don't create, don't experiment, don't let their Ideas flow and go crazy.

Keep it up, I use woth formats and I love both, even on these day and age I'm buying my first Super 16 camera to make a feature, but as an upcoming director I will love to "try" ( key word in these industry)

your camera once is out

Best

I won't speak for Timur, but other directors and DP's have told us that the image is not the reason why they will use RED as a VFX or second camera in the beginning. The primary reason is that the camera is not fully feature enabled as of today and it will take some time to get studios comfortable with the risk of a new camera. We expect that one success will lead to others (actually, there are several in the works now). We have been told that the major advantages of RED to film are 1. the image quality, 2. the convenience of the workflow, and 3. the cost of production. In that order.

We are pretty happy with the response to our project. We still have a lot of work to do. After all, we started from scratch just 15 months ago.

I hope all, including the respectful skeptics, will take a look at our program at NAB to see why it is a candidate for major motion picture productions, as well as indie projects.

Jim