tips needed for interior night scene

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some cool tips on lighting a night time interior scene (someone sleeping in bed near a window). Would like to create a somewhat horror-like mood to the scene. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

ps.

I'm more concerned about measuring light and setting the aperture (intentional underexposure?).

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some cool tips on lighting a night time interior scene (someone sleeping in bed near a window).  Would like to create a somewhat horror-like mood to the scene.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Single source spot coming through window at a medium-high angle. Cobalt (dark blue) gelled. Create ambience with a light layer of haze (use a fog machine and turn it on for a minute, then spend another minute fanning it around). You'll get a nice beam of light coming through the window. Add some lit candles in the shot and you're all set.

Of course, this is just one of many possibilities. Try different things. Experiment! :)

EDIT: Add some waving branches in front of the light pointing at the window. Those wavy shadows always look nice...

Guest Chainsaw

When seeking guidance on a lighting style always understand that there is no right or wrong method, only a personal style and preference. You can ask 100 different people to light the same room and each will do it differently. This is an art as much as a science. About the only time someone's lighting advice is wrong is when they tell you it must be done their way. There are certain exceptions but for the most part this holds true.

Night lighting should not be thought of as using small amounts of light but actually more carefully controlled and specialized sources. For a night interior "horror" feel I would begin by lighting from either practical sources or implied sources, and directionally implement them either very sidey or from behind with minimal underexposed fill. What kind of room this scene exists in should drive this approach. Is it in a house, a seedy Motel, a hospital, a loft in an industrial park, etc. Just because this is a night scene does not mean that you are prohibited from using strong sources. For an effective night lighting scheme you will need to keep a higher level of contrast. Lighting from the front will obfuscate any dark dramatic element you are trying to create and destroy your illusion of night. Keep your room contrasty with deep shadows and strong highlights. Only light what needs to be lit. If you keep most of the ambient spill off of your walls you will enhance the illusion of greater space which can easily add a more sinister edge. Lost Highway and Mulholland Dr. are prime examples.

If your window is of considerable size I recommend that it be a source if not your key source. Any kind of light could conceivably be outside, moonlight, Mercury Vapor lamps, HPS lamps, flickering Neon, U.S. Cool Whites, lightning, headlights, flashing police lights, Christmas lights, et al. Your choice of color here is entirely subjective, choose whichever you feel has the most dramatic impact for this scene. I've used everything from 1/2 CTB+1/4 plus green to lavender to steel blue to congo blue to white to gold to yellow+straw+lime to create night lighting.

Don't be afraid of having your window overexposed, if your room is dark this would be quite natural. If you so desire you can match your ambient fill to your window color. This I would leave 2-4 stops under (depending on film stock) for a realistic effect. If you have any practicals playing use them as a motivated source to pickup highlights in addition to your window effect or where it may lack. It is a must that they be on dimmers (otherwise you have no control) and I would let them go around 4+ stops over for a higher level of contrast. The only problem with this approach is that depending on framing your audiences eye may be drawn to this bright point first. If that becomes an issue simply reframe, redress the set, or dim your practical(s). If there are any talent moving throughout the scene try to let the light wraparound from behind or the side and keep frontal detail to a minimum. This will help separate them from a dark background, enhance apparent depth, and create a darker tone.

As I said this is only one way to answer your query, but for the effect you mentioned it is one that I would most likely take. It is entirely feasible to do this with only one carefully controlled light. Or you could even light with an extremely low-level ambiance and underexpose the entire scene. You could even have your only motivated source be the tip of a lit cigarette and play a dim soft source from it. Obviously I have little idea as to your available lighting gear and expendables so I did not give absolutes in terms of instruments or placement. The best lights for the job are the ones you have on the truck. I hope some of this is of some value to you, good luck.

experiment, experiment, experiment. careful to use a fog machine because depending on ur camera location u can see swirls of fog. unless thats what u want. the best bet for a foggy or hazy look is a haze machine( not to be confused with a fog machine. very nice. GOOD LUCK!

• Premium Member

I think in terms of small hard open face sources like a Micki Mole or something to create hard shadows.

This is as opposed to large soft sources that fill in the shadows.

Just one component and one approach,