Zeiss 10-100 T2 converted to 12-120 T2.4, Quality??

Tim Carroll

• Premium Member

I've got a really nice Zeiss 10-100 T2 Mk1 lens. It creates great images. The problem is that I would like to use it on a Super 16 camera, and when I tested it, it vignettes from 10mm all the way up thru 32mm. Looks great from 50mm up to 100mm. When I say it vignettes, I'm talking about a 16:9 transfer of the neg from right edge to left edge.

I know I can have the lens converted to Super 16 (used to be by Optex, now by another manufacturer) but my lens guy says it degrades the image. What I am wondering is - How Much?

Anyone have experience with using the Zeiss 12-120 T2.4 converted lens? How much of a hit does the image take?

Any and all info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Tim

• Premium Member
I've got a really nice Zeiss 10-100 T2 Mk1 lens. It creates great images. The problem is that I would like to use it on a Super 16 camera, and when I tested it, it vignettes from 10mm all the way up thru 32mm. Looks great from 50mm up to 100mm. When I say it vignettes, I'm talking about a 16:9 transfer of the neg from right edge to left edge.

I know I can have the lens converted to Super 16 (used to be by Optex, now by another manufacturer) but my lens guy says it degrades the image. What I am wondering is - How Much?

Anyone have experience with using the Zeiss 12-120 T2.4 converted lens? How much of a hit does the image take?

Thanks,

-Tim

I bought a Zeiss 1-100 T2 MK2 and had it totally re-built and an OPTEX conversion done by Stuart Rabin of Focus Optics.

I can intercut the Zeiss with my Optar Illumina primes and cannot tell the difference.

I am only viewing the footage on a 20" monitor though, so maybe on the big screen you would see a difference. I transferred my footage on a Spirit to DigiBeta.

If you want to send me 100' of film, I would be more than happy to shoot some footage with the lens for you.

• Premium Member

Thanks,

-Tim

Hi Tim,

I know somebody who selected the Optex conversion kit for his lens and was very happy. I know you'r on CML so have the contact details for Brian Rose. I recently spoke to Brian on the phone about some Optex kit, he is very helpful, & can give you the information you need.

Stephen

• Premium Member
Hi Tim,

I know somebody who selected the Optex conversion kit for his lens and was very happy. I know you'r on CML so have the contact details for Brian Rose. I recently spoke to Brian on the phone about some Optex kit, he is very helpful, & can give you the information you need.

Stephen

Thanks guys. I may take you up on that offer John, and thanks for the contact info Stephen.

Has anyone tried inter-cutting a converted Zeiss 12-120 T2.4 with Zeiss Super Speed Mk1 primes? Or for that matter MkII or the latest Super Speeds? And does the conversion make the image softer, more contrasty, less contrasty?

Thanks,

-Tim

Hi-

I used the 12-120 ( we got ours from Whitehouse) for about a dozen episodes of "Critter Gitters" (a syndicated kid's show) and thought it was quite a nice lens, good sharpness and contrast (although you'd never know it by the crappy telecines we got). I thought bottoming out at 12mm was a bit limiting. I liked the Canon 8-64 a lot better for that.

Hi, I previously owned a converted 12-120 T2.4 Zoom lens. As a zoom, its compact, relatively fast (T2.4) and is a good value. I have some sample frames pulled from this lens shot with a Super 16 converted SR1. The footage was transferred via a Spirit 2k to HDCAM and the stills are posted as tifs or jpg files. For standard definition work I think the lens is sharp, but for HD transfers I think you can begin to see the chromatic aberation in the corners. I now use a Canon 11-165 Zoom and can say it is a bit sharper than the Zeiss 11-120, but at a much steeper price.

http://joshuareis.com/super16/

Joshua

I would actually say that the Optex conversion slightly IMPROVES the optical performance of the lens. Contrast remains the same, but the image has slightly less chromatic abberation and there is little to no portholing in the telephoto end. I don't know about the conversions done using anything but the Optex kit.

Tim, I recently found one last Optex conversion kit sitting on our shelf. If you or anyone else is interested we can convert a single last Zeiss 10-100 into a 12-120.