16mm drawback

Natalie Saito

I'm thinking about shooting with super16 to save money. But I heard that the film latitude is not nearly as good as 35. I intend to shoot a good part of it under low light situations. Can that be resolved with lighting or any other technique? Thanks for Reading! --Natalie

• Premium Member

Exposure latitude is the same -- it's the same color negative film stocks, just cut smaller. What they really mean by decreased "latitude" is the latitude to make mistakes and get away with them, especially underexposure mistakes, because the grain level changes are more visible when using a smaller negative to begin with. So your ability to just push-process a shot and cut into a non-pushed scene is more limited if you want things to look seamless. But in terms of the range of exposure information that the negative can capture, it's the same for 16mm and 35mm when using the same film stock. The contrast isn't higher with 16mm, but your ability to underexpose without a visible increase in graininess is more limited with 16mm.

So find a negative density (ASA rating) for a stock that you can live with, grain-wise, and then try to be consistent in your exposures.

• 2 weeks later...