How to achieve THIS pearl jam video look?

I'm making KIND OF a video for a band. In fact it's like a 7 minutes promo with 3 minutes of interviews and one song half shot in a studio and half shot in a gig (this gig part is done).

The studio part I want to look like

The studio where we'll probably shoot is this

OK, we're comparing a beautiful vintage-look studio with a medium-size square room with white walls, but I'm pretty sure I can simulate something near to that.

My idea is a basic 500w-1000w light on the ceiling covered with blackwrap to make a spot over 2 members of the band's head, as backlight. For the other members I'll use smaller lamps that I'll put over the amps.

My questions are:

1- How to light the drum kit? Backlight coming from the ceiling or a very spot light coming from the other side of the room?

2- In the pearl jam video, there's beautiful soft light coming from the ground, to compensate the hardness of the spot light from the ceiling. What is the best way to achieve this? We don't have chinese balls here, so it's not an option.

Thanks!

My questions are:

1- How to light the drum kit? Backlight coming from the ceiling or a very spot light coming from the other side of the room?

2- In the pearl jam video, there's beautiful soft light coming from the ground, to compensate the hardness of the spot light from the ceiling. What is the best way to achieve this? We don't have chinese balls here, so it's not an option.

For lighting the drumkit, I'd consider something like giving the drummer & kit a very hot backlight, the bounce & reflections off the drums & cymbals might give you enough illumination for the drummer's face, but you can always throw in a bounce card for closeups and such. Backlighting him with little or NO frontal lighting will keep the light off those walls...although, since they're white they will still show up a bit. It's good to watch for some nice highlights off that kit though, I'd like to see how it turns out.

China balls are easy and cheap to make...just go out, get a white chinese lantern (they got'em at IKEA and lots of other places for cheap), a porcelain light socket with a higher rating, a bulb of whatever wattage you're going for, cord & pole and you got it!

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank

• 2 weeks later...