How NOT to direct

Guest Tim Partridge

I have no problem with emotions flaring, outbursts, etc. I work in two high-pressure environments right now, so it's not as if I can't handle stress. I won't say that I handle stress WELL, but I handle it. . . However, if I have to sit back and put UP with that bullshit, unless I'm the lowest man on the ladder, I don't think Hollywood and I will get along too well. I mean, couldn't the DoP or the 1st AD have said SOMETHING to calm things down instead of just sitting back and letting all hell break loose?

Sure, the guy is everyone's boss, but if he has dictatorial power and infallibility even when he is clearly throwing a temper tantrum, I think posting the video tap tape of the incident is a pretty lenient response from the crew involved.

I guess it is true that this is still unconfirmed. THe resolution of the clip is so low that, at least visually, as I don't know any of the players involved's voices by heart, it could have been anyone staging that. But why would they have? If this is a reenactment or a stunt by anyone other than the crew itself, it is very well done and convincing.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with emotions flaring, outbursts, etc. I work in two high-pressure environments right now, so it's not as if I can't handle stress. I won't say that I handle stress WELL, but I handle it. . . However, if I have to sit back and put UP with that bullshit, unless I'm the lowest man on the ladder, I don't think Hollywood and I will get along too well. I mean, couldn't the DoP or the 1st AD have said SOMETHING to calm things down instead of just sitting back and letting all hell break loose?

Sure, the guy is everyone's boss, but if he has dictatorial power and infallibility even when he is clearly throwing a temper tantrum, I think posting the video tap tape of the incident is a pretty lenient response from the crew involved.

I guess it is true that this is still unconfirmed. THe resolution of the clip is so low that, at least visually, as I don't know any of the players involved's voices by heart, it could have been anyone staging that. But why would they have? If this is a reenactment or a stunt by anyone other than the crew itself, it is very well done and convincing.

What distinguishes this from an innocuous tantrum are two things. The first, although still just a word, was his publicly referring to Ms. Tomlim as a c-nt. That was a demonstration of abject disrespect for a member of his cast. The second, which clearly crossed the line, was his physical display of anger. Tossing objects, such as lights, around the set subjected his cast members to possible, physical injury. I am surprised that this idiot hasn't has his ass kicked more often.

Edited by Ken Cangi

• Premium Member

The question that I've been asking myself is that in case there are interviews and/or a making-of on the dvd of the film, will they include the usual backslapping and 'he was such a pleasure to work with'...

What distinguishes this from an innocuous tantrum are two things. The first, although still just a word, was his publicly referring to Ms. Tomlim as a c-nt. That was a demonstration of abject disrespect for a member of his cast. The second, which clearly crossed the line, was his physical display of anger. Tossing objects, such as lights, around the set subjected his cast members to possible, physical injury. I am surprised that this idiot hasn't has his ass kicked more often.

Far worse, when he tossed objects right at the assistant huddled in fear on the floor. Way out of line. Someone should have kicked his ass, literally.

• Premium Member
I mean, couldn't the DoP or the 1st AD have said SOMETHING to calm things down instead of just sitting back and letting all hell break loose?

I guess it is true that this is still unconfirmed.

I think the fact that no one tried to get in the middle of it and stop it is a good indication that this was very common behavior on that set. The other actors didn't even seem that concerned about it until Russell ran onto set going nuts. I think the crew probably had a good feeling that if they tried to stop the tantrum they would be fired. So unless they were going to quit anyway, it probably wasn't the best move to get in the middle of it.

Unconfirmed? It would be a pretty big stretch to try to convince anyone that this was a setup.

It would be a pretty big stretch to try to convince anyone that this was a setup.

I agree. My first question in situations like this is: Find the motive. I just can't see any value - publicity or otherwise - in releasing material like this. The only thing that would make sense is that this was a tactic for provoking a certain emotional mood among the cast members and that the footage was never meant to leave the set.

Edited by Ken Cangi

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
I'm don't think he's a-hole. I found the whole thing quite exciting. Don't take poop from actors, that's what I say.

Yes, it's always good directing when you're calling your lead actress a bitch and trashing your sets. It's both professional and mature and the studios love it!

Yes, it's always good directing when you're calling your lead actress a bitch and trashing your sets. It's both professional and mature and the studios love it!

Yes Brad you are 100% correct, I could not agree more.

There is a difference between being a director that is a push over and one that is an idiot.

Of course you have to be firm at times as a director, going ballistic, un-professional.

R,

I think the fact that no one tried to get in the middle of it and stop it is a good indication that this was very common behavior on that set. The other actors didn't even seem that concerned about it until Russell ran onto set going nuts. I think the crew probably had a good feeling that if they tried to stop the tantrum they would be fired. So unless they were going to quit anyway, it probably wasn't the best move to get in the middle of it.

Unconfirmed? It would be a pretty big stretch to try to convince anyone that this was a setup.

Who knows maybe they tried to stop things before and it didn't work out, but the thing that impresses me about all this, is that the crew clearly didn't stand there and do nothing, someone was clearly getting it all on tape, and whoever it was they have my respect because so often in life people know what they are involved with is very bad and they do nothing, perhaps because they are worried about their careers or perhaps because they just don't want to get involved because they won't get anything out of it.

They didn't do nothing, they stood there, let it all happen and got it all on tape, probably at some potential risk to their career as has been indicated.

Good luck to them I say!

People get the society they deserve.

Now that it's out there for all to see, including the participants, perhaps there will be less abusivenes and bullying in future films.

love

Freya