Filters and Compensation

Dominik Muench

hi everyone

im in the process of making my own filter tags...to stick on the cam mattbox.

does anyone know where i can find a list of the most common filters (nds, pola, grads...) their abbreviations and their exposure compensation values ? since i want to include that on the tags.

thanks.

ps. when im finished im happy to put up the list as a .doc file online so everyone can print it and get it laminated to cut out little tags and stick them on velcro :)

Edited by Dominik Muench

• Premium Member

I'd be wary of marking factors or stop loss on the tags..... it may make you appear inexperienced...... I'd be quite alarmed if I saw it.

You'll know the common filters very quickly and much better to be up front if there's one you dont know. Just ask the DP what he likes to allow for say.... a 25A. That to me would appear far more courteous and professional.

I'd be wary of marking factors or stop loss on the tags..... it may make you appear inexperienced...... I'd be quite alarmed if I saw it.

You'll know the common filters very quickly and much better to be up front if there's one you dont know. Just ask the DP what he likes to allow for say.... a 25A. That to me would appear far more courteous and professional.

isnt it just an extra assurance ? besides ive worked with dops who didnt know the exposure compensation for some of the filters we shot with <:)

Maybe you could make up a series of small double-sided laminated cards with the required filter info lists that fit discreetly in your pocket.

This info is readily available in the American Cinematographer Manual, but you just have to lay it out to suit your own purposes. I have a collection of filters not in general use and an info list sure saves a lot of awkward moments.

Or just keep a copy of the 'Manual in your light meter case!

Edited by Matt Butler