Fuji 250T help

Hi, I?ll be shooting a short S16 film in the next few days and I?m forced into shooting Fuji 250T. I?m completely unfamiliar with this stock and some test footage I shot will not be available before I shoot. So I have a few questions:

1. What kind of latitude am I looking at with the 250T?

2. What kind o latitude do I have if I push-it a stop? (The director wants a lot of contrast)

3. How does the grain look if pushed a stop? (A subjective question, I know)

The film will mostly be shown on DVD with a few big screen showings from a MiniDV deck.

Thanks

Sorry, I didn't mean to put this in the lighting section.

Hi, I?ll be shooting a short S16 film in the next few days and I?m forced into shooting Fuji 250T. I?m completely unfamiliar with this stock and some test footage I shot will not be available before I shoot. So I have a few questions:

1. What kind of latitude am I looking at with the 250T?

2. What kind o latitude do I have if I push-it a stop? (The director wants a lot of contrast)

3. How does the grain look if pushed a stop? (A subjective question, I know)

The film will mostly be shown on DVD with a few big screen showings from a MiniDV deck.

Thanks

Sorry, I didn't mean to put this in the lighting section.

If you are talking about the eterna 250T, then I can help. the latitude is very similar to 7217, lots of it. We shot some high contrast scenes and it looked great. It is very well suited for telecine, so on DVD it will look very nice. There was some grain in the shadows, but I personally don't mind it. We did not push at all, just rated it as is. I know you said that you were forced to use it, sorry to here that, not because of Fuji, I think it is great, but that you have no choice. If your choice does come into it, the brand spanking new Eterna Vivid is available, or so says a Fuji rep I have been in contact with as of today. This stock is 160 speed tungsten stock that is higher in constrast to the other eterna stocks, more saturated and probably just a bit finer grain. I have not used or seen anything shot with it, but I am quite curious.

All in all, I really like the stock, I hope you do to.

chris

The specs and all that you can just find on fuji's website that'll tell you about hte lattitude. I shot on 8663 the eterna 250D and I was off accidentally by 4 stops or so and I pulled it one stop and it looked fine on the transfer. Contrast well light the set/actors with contrast and when you transfer it let the colorist know or do it yourself to pull it out.

Why are you forced into this stock, because I'm getting a weird image of people cramming it down you.

It's the Eterna stock.

The project was supposed to be shot about 4 months ago with a different DP but fell through. I was brought on a few weeks ago, so all the stock was ordered. The director saw some very high contrast footage I shot on 7222 and wanted me to replicate the look but in color. I have no real problems with fuji, i've seen some nice stuff but it's not the stock I would have chosen. Not that I can really replicate the look of 7222 with color film anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got some footage back from some exterior daytime stuff that I shot on Eterna 250T, and really, it's some gorgeous stuff.

It is quite hi-con, and not entirely different from 7217, making it believable that the two stock could be intercut easily without anybody REALLY noticing off hand.

I can't say much for pushing it, since everything I shot was over-exposed by 2/3's. I will say this about Fuji though. After shooting a lot of 7217 and just recently a bit of Eterna 250T, there's definitely a time and a place for different stocks. The stuff I shot with the Fuji was almost unintentionally fantasy like. Really gorgeous images, whereas with Kodak stocks I feel they depict a more gritty and truthful image.

I'm beginning to understand what David means by the "painterly" look of Fuji.

i shot a music video on a mix of eterna 250t and vision2 200t, see if you can tell which is which? i tried to use one emulsion for one setup, but there's also some intercutting. and despite correction in telecine as well as web cmpression you can still see a bit of a difference. hint: i like the eterna better. click mindkaos on my homepage.

http://www.mattias.nu/

/matt