35mm adapter...worth the $$?

Rob.m.Neilson

Here are some more screengrabs from the HVX with a Brevis using Canons. There is a WS (Canon 20mm) in there using the Brevis. The stock HVX lens is obviously wide enough but I wanted to keep the look consistent. Using the stock lens naked gives you really deep DOF...everything looks sharp. It can be a good effect but it also really looks like video. Of the 10 grabs I posted, one is without the Brevis. Which is it? These are very compressed (FCP QT compressor). Four shots have had the color enhanced. All others are how they were recorded. They are already posted at DVXUser:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=93184

• 3 weeks later...
Incidentally, I should be doing some tests with both the Varicam and F-900R with the Pro35 adapter and Cooke S4's this week. I'm especially interested in comparing it to HD zooms.

i just shot a spot with the sdx-900, pro35 and cooke s4's and was pleased with the results. especially the well lit exteriors, the shots with contrast in lighting. some of the second day was overcast, and the images from those few hours were a bit flat, but over all, very pleased with the setup. we were shooting mostly 75mm and 100mm. the camera was huge with everything built, but didnt slow me down much. (i tried some handheld and would not recommend... hah!)

if youre after 35mm dof, i do not think HD zooms will compare favorably. If you want crystal sharp images, its a different story. it just depends on the story you are trying to tell for your production.

for camera setup, i had to set the white shading to offset a color shift which was present with the adaptor. without making this adjustment, i saw a slight shift in color from top to bottom of the image, with the top being a bit more magenta, bottom being a bit more green. a few tweaks in the white shading menu fixed this. check into this if you will be shooting with this setup! = )

-isaac

• Premium Member
for camera setup, i had to set the white shading to offset a color shift which was present with the adaptor. without making this adjustment, i saw a slight shift in color from top to bottom of the image, with the top being a bit more magenta, bottom being a bit more green. a few tweaks in the white shading menu fixed this. check into this if you will be shooting with this setup! = )

Yes, this is essential!