Looking for a inexpensive 16mm camera

Alex Opdam

Hi everyone,

Sorry this is not more specific but i just thought i'd post and see if there were any inexpensive 16mm cameras on the market.

I'm looking for something with a sharpish zoom lens that can go fairly wide (in the district of around the 9mm mark ideally). I basically want something solid and reliable, but _not_ necessarily crystal synched.

I've been using video for a while and i want something that i can use to get some (reasonable) quality film images out of. Although a quiet synched cam would be nice, I will be using ADR most likely (for financial reasons) to save money on the camera.

I guess a bolex or a scoopic 16m is the sort of thing im looking for - does anyone have or know of any of these for sale?

You can contact me at aopdam@hotmail.com if you wish.

Thanks for your time

ps. I am in Sydney, Australia.

I've got a Scoopic16M which is very good. Lens is sharp, camera is a no-brainer to load (100ft spools only)-kind of like a giant super8. Good Bolexes are expensive and I feel too much of an investment for MOS filming unless you have a really good reason for having one.

• Premium Member

Hi Alex,

I currently own 2 Kinor16 russian camera's that I purchased really cheap

from Ebay, I had one converted a few months ago to S16 and PL mounted

by Les Bosher who did an amazing job with the conversion...

The most expensive part was the actual EMS shipping from Russia to Australia.

The actual camera sells for about 400-500 US and is very quiet, the lens is

very tack sharp, I have no complaints about the Kinor it has served me very well.

Cheers

Sean Morris

• 2 weeks later...

I was actually debating on pin-registering my Keystone for the work, but if the K3 was registered I would have bought that instead for that work. I still might buy the K3 tho, it looks like a sweet camera, and stick to the original plan. (Keystone's movement is easy to modify, and I've been experimenting with it so as to add a pin-registration system. Will post results whenever/if ever I get any)