Ground glass marks on the K3

Antonio Bunt

Hey, how can I mark the ground glass on the K3's VF so I can frame correctly for 1,85:1 or 1,66:1? I saw a Super 16 gate for the K3 selling for nearly 200 bucks but I feel it like a risky practice since the VF will still be on 1,33:1 hence framing blindly! Thanks!

Hey, how can I mark the ground glass on the K3's VF so I can frame correctly for 1,85:1 or 1,66:1? I saw a Super 16 gate for the K3 selling for nearly 200 bucks but I feel it like a risky practice since the VF will still be on 1,33:1 hence framing blindly! Thanks!

The ground glass of K-3 camera don't have removable design.

This is one side of agglutinated of double optical prism with collecting lens from other side.

The double prism divided of light from lens on light sensor and on viewfinder.

The size of surface of original ground glass 12.2 x 9 mm.

You can have a few ways of modification :

1. to use of original ground glass block, over-centering for Super 16 axis and set marks of 1.85:1 and 1.66:1 film gates.

( I think, you need 1.85:1 and 1.78:1 )

2. to use of original ground glass block, over-centering for Super 16 axis and add mask with size of 1.85:1 or mask with 1.66:1. YOu can set of this mask on viewfinder, or on original ground glass block.

3. to use any other ground glass with collecting lens and over-adjusting of optical system of viewfinder.

Any case, all this modification will include a high precision procedures and will have not low cost, because, after made of any procedures with ground glass, you will need adjust of position of ground glass by collimator

You'll still be framing blindly, but Super-16 conversion adds to the frame from one side. The K-3 ground glass cannot be added to. The only thing you can do is re-centre it.

Masking the ground glass wont work as the super-16 frame is not smaller (a crop) of the original 16mm frame. It's physically larger and only to one side.