new to the forum.. please help

david romberg

I'm new to this forum and I've been reading a lot on here and I'm becoming very interested in using film.

I'm a young director thats been shooting video for about 6-7 years and I have

some experimental ideas for integrating film in my next documentary (which will be shot in 24p).

I've been looking at bolex as a machine to experiment with and I'm wondering what you guys think about

this one.. Its an old one I believe, looks like 2nd generation to me. Please let me know what you guys think.

bolex on ebay

thats what I thought... thanks for the relpy.

What models do you recommend, not including the rx models.

The h16m seems pretty nice because of the lens mount and its overall design (with exception that its not reflex) and I think I saw an m4 or m5 recently on ebay go for cheap.

If you don't want reflex, go for a M4 or M5 with a Pan Cinor or Angenieux with a sidefinder, but you will be limited to the above lenses, or a non-reflex with regular Switar (10,16,25,50,75mm) lenses but above serial #101,000 or so.

If you want to shoot a documentary on film I would recommend some quieter camera systems.

Here's a decent list of quiet cameras:

Éclair NPR

Éclair ACL 2

Arriflex SR,1,2,3

CP-16R

Aaton A-Minima

Aaton XTR, theres a few more, but Aatons are good.

And some good non-sync MOS cameras:

Arri S/B (Talk to Tim Carrol)

Later Bolex's (Rex V, etc)

gawd, that one went for $610 ! thats heaps

it was pretty clean for its type - but, sheesh ...

Maybe I'm out of touch with the prices but if you wait you can pick up much better for much less

Locally, I got an SB (bayonet mount RX4-esque) and a POE for about $250US last year - The lens I passed on as it wasn't in the greatest of condition and the body needed a clean up also but now after buying a $5 crank handle (another bargain, eBay this time) shes a super-sexy Super16 ...

thanks for all the help guys... As far as sync cameras go, I don't really need one right now.

The footage shot in film will not be used for "documentation" but rather for some long silent shots that will be

later composed by musicians.

I wish I could get an rx for a decent price but the m5's also look pretty nice with the ability to shoot 400 feet..

Why would that camera go over $600!! Has everybody gone mad... Ebay auctions for bolex's have been really weird lately. People are paying way too much for cameras that are non-reflex and made in the 40's..

Come to a Mexican antiques bazars. Sometimes they beat eBay auctions!. Once I saw a Bolex on 100 bucks! They got it listed as a video camera!!! Although once I saw another on 2,000 smackers! For that I can get a great ACL package. Russian K3s are fine too if you don't want to invest a lot. Check for dishonest sellers though!