Weird Directing Thing

Ok, this might belong in Off Topic, but I found it to be related to Directing.

Today members of the undergraduate classes in my program were roaming the halls shooting video for the program's website (which is under construction). That's cool. But I'm walking out of my screenwriting class, letting a student know about deadlines and project requirements, and the chair of my department runs up to me.

CHAIR

I need you to be on camera.

ME

Kay... for?

CHAIR

Just come over here.

ME

OK

I walk over to a setup of two cameras. One camera is set up like it's shooting a scene, complete with an actress standing in the middle of the computer lab. Behind that camera is the other one... filming the whole thing.

CHAIR

Go in there and pretend to direct her.

ME

Pretend? Direct her to what?

CHAIR

It's her big moment.

ME

Kay... what moment? The hell I'm I doing here?

CHAIR

Just do whatever.

So I put on my best director face and talked to my lovely and patient actress. I spewed a bunch of stuff about "This scene isn't about discovery, rather a revelation." and "Relax and just talk to me." I also made allot of really important looking hand gestures. Tapped the ends of my fingers together like an evil genius... Did that for about two minutes then...

CHAIR

CUT! Great, thanks.

ME

Kay...

So I had to pretend to direct someone for a scene I had no clue about... FUN! Just thought I'd share... I found it amusing. :huh:

Edited by Nicholas Jenkins

• 1 month later...