Lenses for SDX900

Fernando Senosiain

Hello,

I am currently looking to purchase a lens for my SDX900. Mainly work in ENG/EFP/EPK world. Also some docs. I am curious as to what kind of work and what type of glass others are using.

I am interested in the new Fujinon HA18x7.6erm and the Canon HJ17ex7.7B(both are HD). Have any of you used either one ?

I am also leaning towards the 0.8 converter option (don't want to lose the 20% in focal length). I appreciate any thoughts, insights or suggestions.

I have been following this forum for quite some time and find it interesting and very informative. Thank you all.

Fernando.

We bought the Canon HJex21x7.5 HD lens with our sdx900. It's a great piece of glass. The only thing I don't like about it, which is a big problem with most video lenses, is the breathing. A great feature it has is an anti-ramping feature that stops your zoom when before the light falls off at the end of the lens. If you want to use the end of the lens for max zoom, you can turn the feature off. As far as the .8x converter, We got ours without it, as I understand, you lose on the wide side of the lens. We bought our lens for mostly longer beauty shots and have a Canon 5.2 SD wide angle for wide stuff. Saved us a few bucks.

PS: whats EPK?

Jason

Thanks Jason,

EPK is Electronic Press Kit. I've spent almost twenty years shooting in the world of news, and recently ventured in a new direction. I've used both Canon and Fujinon lenses, and you can't go wrong with either, price point is important, need to stay on budget.

Curious to hear what others are doing with their SDX900's (love my camera!)

Fernando.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest defender_110

I am considering purchasing the SDX 900. I am a bit shocked at the price for these HD lenses! I really don?t understand why I would need an HD lens when the 900 is only a SD camera. Is it the investment toward HD?s future? Is it the 16:9 ratio? I would like to know if anyone has had positive results with less expensive lenses - Under 10K.

Thanks,

Used is your only option. Make sure it's a broadcast lens and not a professional line lens. You can get a Canon 9x5.2 for about 8 or 9k. Have it rebuilt by a qualified lens engineer. It will cost you a good $600 to $1200, but it's worth it. You are still under 10k total. I recommend Horst Stahl of Coral Springs, FL for service... he's the best in the country.

Jason

• 1 month later...

I've been using the canon hd (HJ21X7.5B) zoom lens very minimal breathing killer piece of glass. I have the 2X extender and macro features, I love the way this lens will go into macro while the extender is kicked in, some of my previous lens would not do that. My only down sides were none of my old filters fit this lens (I love filters) and the cost The lens lists for around $30K very expensive. I felt that I was investing in this lens for the long term. I know this piece of glass will travel with me to HD and (I'm fairly certain) I can get an adapter so this glass will fit onto a S16 film camera.....All in all this lens has become such a positive experience for me (except when I go hand held, IT IS HEAVY) I demo-ed this lens before I purchased it from Canon located in NJ....I shoot mostly NY area commercials and I am now getting more corporate work....as of now (I've been using the 900/canon combo since June) I wouldn't trade either pieces!!

JD

Cinehooter, LLC

WWW.CINESHOOTER.COM