chris doyle shoot for gus van sent

Ram Shani

i just look at imdb and noticed that Doyle shoot new van sent move

well that should be something

Gus and his style and long relationship with Harris savides and there cinematic style

Chris and and his relation with wkw and his style

this should give us something to talk about :)

• 1 month later...
i just look at imdb and noticed that Doyle shoot new van sent move

well that should be something

Gus and his style and long relationship with Harris savides and there cinematic style

Chris and and his relation with wkw and his style

this should give us something to talk about :)

From what they say at Cannes, Paranoid Park is a superior film in every way.

Don't know when it's coming out here in Europe. Will be interesting to compare

it to Elephant.

• 4 months later...

I caught Paranoid Park last night and it was pretty awful. There was one amazing shot (in the shower), but the rest of the film was very flat and boring. It had nothing to do with Doyle's other work and it has a pretty routine, stock look about it. But not flat enough to be interesting in that regard. Along with the 1.38 aspect ratio, this movie imports the lesser aesthetics of TV. Even though it's most 35mm, it could have been shot on video. Similarly, the mixing of various formats fell flat.

The only interesting mention about Doyle this time around is that he has a speaking cameo.

I'd be cautious of anything complimentary people say of this effort, as it's probably based more on press than actually seeing the film.

• Premium Member

It would be nice to see Gus van Sant return to the level he had when he shot "My own private Idaho". Similarly, it would be nice to see Chris Doyle return to his inventiveness and visual creativity he contributed to the early Wong Kar-Wai films.

It would also be nice not to have to see a collaborative oeuvre as "Psycho (remake)" again.

• 3 months later...
I caught Paranoid Park last night and it was pretty awful. There was one amazing shot (in the shower), but the rest of the film was very flat and boring. It had nothing to do with Doyle's other work and it has a pretty routine, stock look about it. But not flat enough to be interesting in that regard. Along with the 1.38 aspect ratio, this movie imports the lesser aesthetics of TV. Even though it's most 35mm, it could have been shot on video. Similarly, the mixing of various formats fell flat.

The only interesting mention about Doyle this time around is that he has a speaking cameo.

I'd be cautious of anything complimentary people say of this effort, as it's probably based more on press than actually seeing the film.

What a shockingly and absurdly negative review. The film shows the maturation of a director and cinematographer.

Explain.

Both director and DP moved beyond some of their weaker tendencies; for GVS, he used to channel other filmmakers' methods too closely (Bela Tarr, Hitchcock) while losing some of his original voice; this film seemed to go deeper than the last ones because he gave himself greater trust.

For Doyle, his visual style was always beautiful, but with each film, he's becoming more subtle. I think within the subtlety, he's stripping away to the essential substance of shots. From what I understand, GVS was interested in a more stylized film, but it was Doyle's recommendation that they tone things down.

• 10 months later...

I just bought PARANOID PARK and watched it last night. I thought it was great. Chris Doyle and Rain Li did a terrific job photographing it and Gus did a wonderful job capturing the story. Performances were captivating and the style of the film making really enhanced it.

The version I bought said widescreen on Amazon but the DVD is 4:3 what happened here? The box says standard version protecting the aspect ratio of the original theatrical exhibition.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
The version I bought said widescreen on Amazon but the DVD is 4:3 what happened here? The box says standard version protecting the aspect ratio of the original theatrical exhibition.

Gus Van Sant likes 1.37:1, it's the 'intended' aspect ratio of the film (see Last Days, Elephant). When shown theatrically it played 1.85:1 or 1.66:1 depending on the theaters capability, because most theaters can't project full frame academy.