is this lightmeter a good one?

pascal Boyer

• Premium Member

It?s pretty simple, but has a lot of features thus causing some people to think it is not the simplest meter in the world (probably isn't).

I would argue it is one of the best meters you can buy. I have the 508c (for years now), my gaffer has the 558c, and I have used the 608c many times in the past. All these meters are more or less the same in operation (mine is the oldest), and they all seem extremely reliable and durable (I know mine is).

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member

I own an L-508 (not the cine version), and I've used the L-608C. I think they're great meters, having the spot meter as well as the incident has been very useful in certain situations. Simple to use? The Sekonic meters have a lot of functions built into them like EV, flash metering, exposure compensation, etc. but you don't have to use them. I like the thumb wheel operation to scroll through fps and ASA -- it's very fast and intuitive. But they're usually a lot more expensive than Minoltas or Spectras, so if you can get it for roughly the same price, then sure get the Sekonic. I believe the Cine version lets you set shutter angle and read in footcandles as well.

I have a Sekonic 608c that I'm selling. It's in excellent condition. I'll throw in the upgraded pouch and several batteries. It's an excellent light meter. If you're interested in saving a few hundred dollars by purchasing used, contact me off the forum through email: film@nateyolles.com.

• Premium Member

For the 558c (current model), around $640ish (http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Sekonic+558c&btnG=Search)

I think mine was around $500, I don't really remember to be honest. These are good meters, but you can get something to start out with for much less money. I started with a $20 Sekonic L398 for like $20 at a pawn shop.

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member

I have that meter (L-608, non-cine) and it has a lot of nice features and is simple to use as long as you have a general understanding of exposure. So far it hasn't been very reliable for me. Maybe I just have bad luck, but the electronic display inside the eyepiece of the spot meter has "shifted" down about a half inch, inside the device. Needless to say, on mine you have to look at the exterior display to check the spot reading. Frustrating to say the least, especially since this is one of the more pricey meters around. All that to say: the more complicated a device becomes, the more likely some part of it will break.