Few quick questions about..

Saba Mazloum

Hey guys,

Quick questions to ask,

1. Can the HVX be shot on 1080 progressive 24frames per second?

2.I have heard that 1080i and 720p theres no difference to it, i guess shooting 720p would be better cuz u get different fps to choose from..

Thanks for helping..

• Premium Member

You have to separate how the camera captures information from how it records that information. The HVX200 does not have 1920 x 1080 CCD's, it has much smaller CCD's in terms of pixels (even less than 1280 x 720), so it's basically "uprezzing" the captured image to be recorded at 720P or 1080i, depending on what you tell the camera to do.

So it can do different frame rates in progressive-scan capture, especially 24P, the only issue is whether you want them recorded as 720P or 1080i, with a pulldown to convert to 60i (although I don't know if all the shooting frames rates are available when you switch between 720P and 1080i recording modes.) If you shoot 24P, it would basically get a 3:2 pulldown in the recording to be stored as 60i/1080.

(I don't think 24P/1080 is a recording option with the camera but I could be wrong.)

So it sort of depends on how you plan on doing the HD post for the project. Personally, I would assume that it would be a "cleaner" post process to stick to the 720P recording mode if shooting progressive-scan rather than deal with footage upconverted to 1080i interlaced-scan with a pulldown, but if you are shooting for a final 1080i master, it might not make a difference.

• Premium Member

Variable frame rates are only available in 720P. In 720 you can select 24P"N" which produces 24 discrete frames per second, or 720/60P which adds pulldown depending on the frame rate you shoot (just like the Varicam).

1080 recording is always 60i.

• Premium Member

The camera is a 720p camera with the 1080 swtich thrown in as a marketing gimmick. It really doesn't do 1080 to any degree and that is why you cant really see the difference. Stick to 720, its a perfect fit. Bigger is a little better on a camera that cost >$40k but on a prosumer camera like this, you really have no advantage to shooting 1080. It does wonderful 720p so I would go with that.