American Cinematographer Manual, Ninth Edition

I have a 1960s edition of the AC manual and it is extremely comprehensive. Just about everything you are looking for in regards to cinematography will be in there - dof tables for different lenses, exposure compensation for high speed photography etc. And since most of the cameras that I use and plan to use in the future were made during the 60s and 70s, this particular edition is very handy in covering details about such equipment! However, there is nothing about telecine in this edition though I assume that later editions would cover that topic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Everyone I know refers to it (only half jokingly) as the Bible. That should give you an idea of its usefulness. On the other hand, I doubt if it's something a director needs as opposed to a DP or an AC

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I bought the 9 edition a month ago

Boy I can't put it down so much info.... so much stuff that you can adapt to your own workflow and make it eaiser

Great buy

Yep. It's $90 (or so as I remember) for a fortune of information.

• 4 weeks later...

A bought a year ago, i guess 90 bucks.., any why if you are or you want to be a cinematographer that's the best shop you can make, but if you're a director there are a lot stuff to read, and for me is my Byble...

sorry about my bad english, what i wanted to say was:

A bought a year ago, i guess 90 bucks.., anyway if you are or you want to be a cinematographer that's the best shop you can make, but if you're a director there are a lot stuff to read, and for me is my Bible...