Linear Beds/Camera Sliders - Tips?

Hi!

I just came off a job this past weekend shooting a short on a mini35 adapter and dvx100a. We secured a linear bed/camera slider from Panavision on the suggestion of the 1st AD to help save us time laying dolly track for our small push in shots. I've never used one previous to this.

While using it I found that the bed would stick starting for a cold stationary position and with really slow push-ins you'd also sometimes lose some momentum and it would stick so a lot of the shots are bumpy in the start or would stop prematurely and then i'd have to start again. To help I would sometimes start the movement in the direction it needed to go and then call frame so the action would be starting with the camera already in motion but sometimes we needed to be still and then start the movement.

Does anyone have any tips for the future?

It sounds like you might have also had a bad bearing or two. Sliders from Panavision have bearing races with a dust collecting shield on either side of each bearing set. On rental sliders sometimes the rail is not cleaned between the bearings under the camera platform. this causes a buildup of gunk on the rails and can cause the dust sheilds to loosen and stick. this also allows gunk to penetrate the bearing races. I like the panavision sliders but they need to be maintained even on short jobs. I have a 4ft copy of the panavision slider. It works great but I find that every other day I have to dismantle the sled and clean the dust shields. I have built a couple sliders that use a bearing free design.

Sliders take a couple days/weeks to get to know when you are first introduced. I have a couple DP's that took to them like ducks to water and others that wouldnt even consider them again. I think practice really helps. Dont avoid them they are great tools. just make sure they are properly maintained even in the field.

Hey buddy. You got to keep the track REALLY clean I had one that the rubber brake was leaving bits of rubber on the track was getting gummy all day! Just had to keep cleaner at my side. Those danm things are on every music vid I do...not a big fan of linear beds.

Hey buddy. You got to keep the track REALLY clean I had one that the rubber brake was leaving bits of rubber on the track was getting gummy all day! Just had to keep cleaner at my side. Those danm things are on every music vid I do...not a big fan of linear beds.

Micheal,

As a manufacturer, what would you want to see or how do you feel they could be better? I am curious as I make them and want to make a better product.

• Premium Member
You may have had too little weight on the slider for smooth operating. DVX100+P&S+head isn't much. Add a shot bag or two.

I think you're probably right regarding the weight.

I think I've been very lucky in that all the sliders I've used have worked fantastically. Maybe the grips or A.C.'s have been cleaning them, but I've never noticed the need for too much maintenance.

I like sliders a lot and have been thinking about buying one so I don't have to beg to get one on jobs.

• 3 years later...