Photographing Super-8 Negative?

• Site Sponsor
It was suggested to me that if I rephotograph my exposed, processed Super-8 color negative film onto interpositive stock (using an optical printer), I could have a print made of the film. Is this is accurate?

You could possibly do this, however I would suggest going to Andec film in Germany and having them do a Super8 wet gate contact print and then optically blowing up (the super8 positive) to 16mm or 35mm InterNegative stock to make the prints. I think you may have a tough time setting the lights on the color negative to IP and there will be a higher chance of damaging the original.

I think it's andecfilm.de as far as I know they are the only people who do Super8 contact printing, but maybe Interformat in Ca. does it as well

-Rob-

• Premium Member
It was suggested to me that if I rephotograph my exposed, processed Super-8 color negative film onto interpositive stock (using an optical printer), I could have a print made of the film. Is this is accurate?

Today, the most cost effective way to "blow up" Super-8 negative would be to do a HD digital transfer, and then a 35mm "film out" onto intermediate film to make the 35mm printing negative. Some labs may still offer Super-8 optical blow ups, but not many.

• Site Sponsor
Today, the most cost effective way to "blow up" Super-8 negative would be to do a HD digital transfer, and then a 35mm "film out" onto intermediate film to make the 35mm printing negative. Some labs may still offer Super-8 optical blow ups, but not many.

We processed a large run of super8 color negative late last year, around 200 rolls, that went on a Spirit in NY to D-5 I heard that they were very happy. There was also that picture in europe done to 2k on the spirit.

Still there is something about an optical print, Rob Todd at Emerson had a bunch of K40 he optically blew up to 16 on a JK and we processed and printed it for him and I thought it was special looking.

-Rob-

We processed a large run of super8 color negative late last year, around 200 rolls, that went on a Spirit in NY to D-5 I heard that they were very happy. There was also that picture in europe done to 2k on the spirit.

Still there is something about an optical print, Rob Todd at Emerson had a bunch of K40 he optically blew up to 16 on a JK and we processed and printed it for him and I thought it was special looking.

-Rob-

Thanks for the replies, Rob. I'm sure the Spirit would be out of my budget and I'm planning to finish on film (print TBD at Cinelab).

I'll have to talk to Rob T., then (especially easy since I'm an Emerson student).

Thanks to everyone else, as well. BB Optics turned out to be a great referral for me.