Sony HVRV1U

Mark Henderson

• 2 weeks later...

In looking at the Sony V1U a little closer it may give the P2 a run its money.

It's only about 1/2 the price

It shoots in 1080P (Progressive) and 1080i

Can TC sync with other V1Us and Z1Us

Has a HDMI out

Suppose to not have vertical smear

Overall seems to be a great camera if you want a camera that can do "film look" and 1080i.

Mark

Hi Mark:

i use the sony HVRV1u for the last year, for me the camara only is useful in exteriors, if you want to use in interiors you have to have a lot of lights because his ASA rounds 160... the camera have rich blacks and the big plus in this camera have a wide range in highlights or overexposure shots... the worse thing is the lens range, you used in tele (or zoom in) if you don't have too much light the camera underexpose your shot... if you use gain +DB you can "make" more sensitive your camera even +6db and you dont see a lot of noise ( make your own test)... So the price is low, depending your project, budget and requirements the camera can make good or bad... my opinion is i don't like it, because when you have tough situations in locations the camera don't satisfy you... Check next level... HDV Panasonic HVX200 and JVC HDV100

Xavier Plaza

Director of Photography

Check this link:

http://www.alfonsoparra.com/pages/press/e29.html

In spanish:

Definitivamente Sony V1U es una camara que la vengo utilizando en el ultimo año, es una camara para exteriores, si vas a trabajar en interiores vas a necesitar una gran cantidad de luz debido a su baja ASA aproximadamente 160, por otro lado la camara tiene ricos negros y un gran soporte en los highlights o overexpose shots lo cual es bueno depende para lo que se la use...., un gran defecto es la utilizacion de tele (lente) sino tiene la suficiente luz tiende a obscurecer la imagen, la utilizacion de DB tambien es positivo, pork a 3db y dependiendo las circunstancias de +6db la camara no hace ruido, Para el precio que tiene la camara, dependiendo del proyecto y presupuesto la camara puede resultar buena o mala... personalmente te puedo decir que en situaciones exigentes me deja mucho que desear... Busca el siguiente nivel de camaras... HDV Panasonic HVX200 y JVC HDV100

Xavier Plaza

Director de Fotografia

Mira este link:

http://www.alfonsoparra.com/pages/press/e29.html

• 2 weeks later...

Sony V1U image sharpness, colour rendition and overall fidelity is noticeably better than Sony's own Z1, thanks to the CMOS sensors and the ingenious re-arrangement Sony calls Clearvid.

Smaller form factor and lighter weight is a big plus for me. Low light isn't as great, but it's less noisy.

• 2 weeks later...

the P2 is a bit bulky but its way better then the sony hvr-v1u, if your using one of those milky looking micro35 lens adapter your in trouble! all the money your going to spend buying the extra lights you should just buy the panasonic P2!

Looks like some great replys guys. Should help a lot of people make a decision. I bought the Z1U and I'm very happy with it. I bought it vs. the P2 because producers that called me kept asking for it. No one asked for the P2. The only people who want P2 (Panasonic 200) are the independent film guys and they never seem to have any money. Not being critical of them, it 's just the fact. I didn't get the V1U because it was just coming out. It seems the jury is still out on it however.Xavier Plaza said he owned it for a year and wasn't crazy about it, that should tell us something.

Good luck,

Mark

• 8 months later...

Been using the V1 now for about a year and I have to say despite its faults, I love the camera.

We have been cutting V1 footage in with HDCAM material shot on a HDW750 and it cuts beautifully on close and medium close ups - wides look soft but thats to be expected.

You have to work the camera quite hard to get footage to sing. It needs LOTS of light as has already been stated and the sweet spot is around F4.

The camera is very poor in low light conditions and the standard lens is way too narrow...you'll need to factor in a W/A lens.

Watch the sharpness setting on the camera or you'll get line twitter problems...Sony suggest you use a sharpness setting of 3, but I'm currently using 5 with no major problems.

Another weak point - audio in HDV mode is not the best, it's perfectly useable but not great.

For the price this is a great little camera and is way nicer to use than the Z1.

Scott

• 1 month later...

To me the V1U is just a small step on the way to the Z7U, which seems to be the camera which we were all waiting for. By any measure (except for those who are attached to the old pd150 ergonometry) it is a vast improvement. See partial list:

- It is significantly more light-sensitive, perhaps by a stop and a half, than preceding HDV cameras, and certainly than the Panasonic HVX200

- The color and blacks seem to be the best yet in a camera of its size

- The placement of the LED screen is like the Z1U which makes shoulder bracing much easier

- It records on tape, compact flash drive cards (16gb gets 72 minutes), and still images on a memory stick

- The parameters of picture adjustment are much more elaborated than other cameras of its size

- It has interchangeable Carl Zeiss lenses.

- It's a very handy development

Tom Hurwitz

• 4 months later...

I've been using a v1 for about a year and I really love it. I am just getting into short film/music video shooting with it, but it does exactly what I need and puts out a really beautiful image. The one issue i had was with the CMOS sensors and camera flashes. I shoot aggressive rollerblading contests, and when those camera flashes go off, the rolling shutter is too much to deal with.

After using the HVX and the Canon A1, I am happy with the V1. I did like the P2 cards, but i don't feel safe without a hard copy in my hands. I keep my sharpness a bit below the middle, just so i don't get that jitter.

Some stuff i've shot with it:

My friend's review for Juggernaut Shoes: http://www.vimeo.com/1470849

2008 Skate Plaza Showdown Rollerblading contest: http://www.vimeo.com/1261919

Alcohol Education sample clip for a class at Ohio University: http://www.vimeo.com/1318029

I've been using a v1 for about a year and I really love it. I am just getting into short film/music video shooting with it, but it does exactly what I need and puts out a really beautiful image. The one issue i had was with the CMOS sensors and camera flashes. I shoot aggressive rollerblading contests, and when those camera flashes go off, the rolling shutter is too much to deal with.

I've used the V1E and really like it, in interiors it produces some quite beautiful images, quite amazing as its a fairly modest prosumer camera.

I once shot some Caporara (however you spell it!) with it, and the crazyness of the day, I ended up getting my own light with chimera in shot - but it looked great, the image just loved the back-lit skin of the moving figures.

The down side of the camera is the lens controls feel a bit clunky, a bit PD150 if you like... Plus its does require a fair bit of light, I calculated it at being about 160ASA.

• 3 months later...

I'm using the V1U regularly, and it definitely delivers. The lens has a great throw, and the level of control is acceptable. With the wide angle attachment, I can get nice and wide. I use the Varizoom VZ-Rock which does a great job with it.

TheClearVid CMOS sensors defintely deliver more than the HyperHAD or other CCD's, and I find the overall look of the image (color depth and resolution) are pretty incredible for a $4000 camera. I can safely shoot within +6dB, which is more than I ever got from a CCD camera.

The form factor and handling are great! The camera fits in a hip bag or strapped over the shoulder with my DSLR - I could never quite do that with the Canon AH1, or the DVX200, and the EX series is a whole other animal. It fits right on my Steadicam Merlin, too, which none of the other small cameras can quite do - FX7 and Z1 are too top heavy for the Merlin.

Being able to gain up like that makes the low light handling acceptable, although I have put myself into a few problem areas lately and had to dig out the 2/3" DSR-250 shoulder camera.

Low light performance impacted a nighttime football game and a nighttime parade event recently, and will probably rent a F900 or 750 for the next nighttime event I cover.

At less than f4, the camera goes a bit milky and the focus goes very soft and overall detail seems to go away. In the cinematic world, exactly what I want - short DoF and luster which makes my dramatic actresses happy, but it is a limitation in the ENG and event space which should be noted. I certainly wouldn't pass up the camera as a result of this, since it is overall a fantastic piece of equipment.