Aaton Super 16 LTR w/Zeiss Super Speed Lens

Tim Carroll

• Premium Member

The lenses are dropping like flies. First the 10-100, now the 9.5mm. So here is how it stands now:

For Sale, my Super 16 Aaton LTR camera package. This is my own personal camera and has never been rented out. It originally belonged to Michael Chin, the San Francisco based documentary cinematographer who shot "Eyes on the Prize" and other award winning social documentaries. The camera is whisper quiet and has the Aaton Super 16 black gate, as seen in the pictures below.

Mechanically and optically it is in excellent condition. The serial number of the camera is in the C960 range, which makes it one of the very last LTR cameras ever made, as Aaton started making the LTR54 cameras (the replacement for the original LTR) at serial number C950. It has all the newer electronics of the LTR54.

Once a month I run each battery and each mag for ten minutes. Two of the batteries both hold a strong charge, the third battery holds a charge for about 48 hours, so you may want to recell it.

The package includes the Zeiss Super Speed Mk1 16mm lenses. The glass on this lens is in excellent condition.

I bought this camera for shooting projects here in Portland, Oregon, but unfortunately, the work never materialized. I am sorry to part with it as it is a beautiful camera. But a camera like this was meant to be used like Michael used it, and unfortunately I cannot provide that at this time.

The Super 16 Aaton LTR Camera package includes:

- Aaton Super 16 Camera Body, serial C96X.

- Two Aaton Super 16 Magazines, serial # 222X and # 264X.

- Zeiss 16mm T1.3 Super Speed Mk1 lens w/front and rear lens caps, serial # 588497X.

- Aaton LTR Extension Eyepiece

- ARRI Bayonet to Aaton Lens Mount Quick-Release Adapter

- Nikon to Aaton Lens Mount Standard Adapter (not shown)

- Aaton wooden Right Handgrip w/switch and extensions

- Lightweight rods

- Three Aaton LTR on-board batteries w/Aaton charger

- Aaton LTR barney (sound cover)

- Custom fit Flight Case for the camera and mags

- Aaton LTR instruction manual (not shown)

16Main.jpg

Cam16.jpg

This package will go up on eBay on Thursday night April 19th with a starting bid of $3999. I expect it to go pretty high as it is a Super 16 camera with low miles and nice glass. I wanted you all to have first shot at it. If anyone on this forum is interested in buying the camera, I will sell it for $5500 (plus shipping) to members, just let me know before it goes up on eBay Thursday night.

Thanks,

-Tim

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ,

I wanted to know if you had sold your camera package? It is very pretty to look at... I reside in Portland and make films locally as well. I would love to talk to you about it if it is still available. Otherwise good luck to you.

Km

The lenses are dropping like flies. First the 10-100, now the 9.5mm. So here is how it stands now:

For Sale, my Super 16 Aaton LTR camera package. This is my own personal camera and has never been rented out. It originally belonged to Michael Chin, the San Francisco based documentary cinematographer who shot "Eyes on the Prize" and other award winning social documentaries. The camera is whisper quiet and has the Aaton Super 16 black gate, as seen in the pictures below.

Mechanically and optically it is in excellent condition. The serial number of the camera is in the C960 range, which makes it one of the very last LTR cameras ever made, as Aaton started making the LTR54 cameras (the replacement for the original LTR) at serial number C950. It has all the newer electronics of the LTR54.

Once a month I run each battery and each mag for ten minutes. Two of the batteries both hold a strong charge, the third battery holds a charge for about 48 hours, so you may want to recell it.

The package includes the Zeiss Super Speed Mk1 16mm lenses. The glass on this lens is in excellent condition.

I bought this camera for shooting projects here in Portland, Oregon, but unfortunately, the work never materialized. I am sorry to part with it as it is a beautiful camera. But a camera like this was meant to be used like Michael used it, and unfortunately I cannot provide that at this time.

The Super 16 Aaton LTR Camera package includes:

- Aaton Super 16 Camera Body, serial C96X.

- Two Aaton Super 16 Magazines, serial # 222X and # 264X.

- Zeiss 16mm T1.3 Super Speed Mk1 lens w/front and rear lens caps, serial # 588497X.

- Aaton LTR Extension Eyepiece

- ARRI Bayonet to Aaton Lens Mount Quick-Release Adapter

- Nikon to Aaton Lens Mount Standard Adapter (not shown)

- Aaton wooden Right Handgrip w/switch and extensions

- Lightweight rods

- Three Aaton LTR on-board batteries w/Aaton charger

- Aaton LTR barney (sound cover)

- Custom fit Flight Case for the camera and mags

- Aaton LTR instruction manual (not shown)

16Main.jpg

Cam16.jpg

This package will go up on eBay on Thursday night April 19th with a starting bid of $3999. I expect it to go pretty high as it is a Super 16 camera with low miles and nice glass. I wanted you all to have first shot at it. If anyone on this forum is interested in buying the camera, I will sell it for $5500 (plus shipping) to members, just let me know before it goes up on eBay Thursday night.

Thanks,

-Tim

• Premium Member
Hi ,

I wanted to know if you had sold your camera package? It is very pretty to look at... I reside in Portland and make films locally as well. I would love to talk to you about it if it is still available. Otherwise good luck to you.

Km

Camera's no longer for sale. Thanks for asking though. Best of luck to you.

-Tim

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

It turned out not to be sold after all, so if anyone is still interested you can view the camera package, as well as receipts from all the service Abel Cine Tech has provided on the camera in the last twelve years, at the eBay auction linked below:

Aaton Super 16 LTR w/Zeiss Super Speed, NR

LTR16.jpg

Thanks,

-Tim

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Well, this is my last try. It was up on eBay for over a week, I got over a dozen emails from people wanting to buy it, and no one bid. Don't quite understand that. Anyway, I have re-listed it, a five day auction, with a starting price of $250. If you are interested in the camera package, this is the last shot at it as I would assume it's going to be sold by Sunday June 24th. Good luck.

Aaton Super 16 LTR w/Zeiss Super Speed, NR

LTR16.jpg

Thanks,

-Tim