NOMOS Super 8 Award 2007

Jurgen Lossau

• Premium Member

Take part in the NOMOS Super 8 Award 2007. More details inside smallformat 2/2007 or in some days on www.smallformat.de

It was an awesome breakthrough when Nomos made the films available for online voting last year. Now if there just could be a way to show them without any dropped frames online... I think some of the films lost their fast pace energy because one could only see about 4-6 frames per second rather than the 18 or 24 that were actually there.

• Premium Member
alex, if you have a crappy computer and slow broadband access you can't really blame nomos, can you? the films *were* full frame rate. use a flash downloader and play them locally for better performance.

/matt

Why do you assume such garbage? I don't use slow broadband access and my computer is not "crappy".

This Movie Trailer plays perfectly fine on my computer.

Why do you assume such garbage? I don't use slow broadband access and my computer is not "crappy".

alex, i'm trying to help. i'm not "accusing" your precious computer of anything. the films on the nomos site were (are?) full frame rate, and if you didn't see that it's a problem on your end. simple as that.

/matt

• Premium Member
alex, i'm trying to help. i'm not "accusing" your precious computer of anything. the films on the nomos site were (are?) full frame rate, and if you didn't see that it's a problem on your end. simple as that.

/matt

I just viewed a dp demo reel, and it didn't drop frames either. Why make it the enduser's problem if that enduser can view other internet videos with no problems?

Why make it the enduser's problem if that enduser can view other internet videos with no problems?

because "everybody else" didn't have a problem, just you. there's absolutely nothing wrong with the nomos films and i'm sure somebody out there has had major problems with the clips you managed to view without problem too, see what i'm saying?

/matt

well boys, the films were fine on the homepage last year. there have been no problems. but to calm you down: this year, a jury will vote again and the films are not online any longer. may be we will show the winners on www.smallformat.de

the whole thing was very expensive and we have a new sponsor for film to video transfer this year. thanks diged for a great internet show 2006, thanks screenshot for a surely great DVD of the winner films in 2007.

and Alex, to see all films fine, just order the NOMOS DVD with the 25 best films of 2006 - it is only 19 Euro plus shipping.

the films were fine on the homepage last year. there have been no problems.

well, obviously alex has had a problem, you're not suggesting he's lying, are you? :-) my point though is that i agree with you that the films were fine, and that his problem lies on his side. i just watched some clips again and they played very well at the full frame rate on my ancient ibook g4 as well as my wife's equally ancient xp lifebook.

i'm glad you have a jury again. gives more credibility to the award. i'll send something for sure.

/matt

• Premium Member
well, obviously alex has had a problem, you're not suggesting he's lying, are you? :-) my point though is that i agree with you that the films were fine, and that his problem lies on his side. i just watched some clips again and they played very well at the full frame rate on my ancient ibook g4 as well as my wife's equally ancient xp lifebook.

i'm glad you have a jury again. gives more credibility to the award. i'll send something for sure.

/matt

I have a real good eye for motion and so I'll notice dropped frames whereas others may or may not notice them. If you go back to my original post I was quite complementary about the effort that Small Format and Juergen & company put into getting the films online.

However, if I can view other videos with no dropped frames, and those videos are even showing more image area than the Nomos films showed, why continue to accuse my computer of being too slow, wouldn't it be more proactive to help discover what new codecs are being used that can make the image not stutter even on computers that allegedly came from the dinosaur age?

with all due respect i think a thread becomes about what people post in it, and as long as it's pretty much on topic i don't see the problem. it's not like it's been hijacked either. it was a dead thread before this discussion.

wouldn't it be more proactive to help discover what new codecs are being used that can make the image not stutter even on computers that allegedly came from the dinosaur age?

so that you and the rest of us who like to download codecs can play it while the rest of the people can't see the clips at all? why don't you realize that you have a problem that needs fixing instead? everybody else can watch the nomos clips fine, including us with ancient computers, no codec download required and no frames dropped. flv is a *great* format for web video.

/matt

• Premium Member
This thread/t (hoho) is about the next NOMOS Super 8 Award, not about the psat. Thank you.

And now would be the time for people who viewed the videos to mention what their experiences were viewing the videos online, no?

Mattias said he didn't have a problem, I noticed dropped frames when I viewed them. That's only two observations so far. More observations might prove helpful, although at this point it's been a while since the films were online so perhaps peoples memories might not be as solid as before. I remember my experience because I decided not to vote since I wasn't getting a 100% accurate viewing and because I didn't know how to compare a film that was in a foreign language to one that was in my native language.

• Premium Member
so that you and the rest of us who like to download codecs can play it while the rest of the people can't see the clips at all? why don't you realize that you have a problem that needs fixing instead? everybody else can watch the nomos clips fine, including us with ancient computers, no codec download required and no frames dropped. flv is a *great* format for web video.

/matt

Mattias, if I can see other videos with no dropped frames, and the nomos videos had dropped frames, why is that my problem, why not just go with what is probably more universally acceptable?

• Premium Member
I just tried to finish this useless private debate but if you like to go on - I am out now here...

"Useless private debate", otherwise known as feedback about a film contest that encourages internet voting but apparently discourages feedback about how the videos actually looked on different computers around the world. :unsure: