KRS-ONE - Music Video

KRS-ONE feat. Marley Marl

"Hip Hop Lives"

KOCH Records

Dir. Todd Angkasuwan

05.jpg

SET PHOTOS

http://www.mattworkman.com/dp-v2/setphotos.html

This weekend I DP'd a music video for a personal hero of mine, KRS-ONE. This was my first professional trip to California (being a NYC kid) and I had nothing but great experiences.

The camera package was from Abel Cine Tech Burbank, most of them were at NAB. We shot on the Sony F900 with a full set of Zeiss Digi Primes. We also brought out a full studio setup with a Panasonic 17" and 8.5" monitor.

We shot the entire video in LA at GMT Studios (www.gmtstudios.com). The stage was a 40'x40'x18' two wall green cyc. We had access to pretty much whatever lights we felt would be needed. The workhorses of the kit were:

- 5x 6k Spacelites

- 1x 10k Fresnel

- 3x 5k Fresnels

- 4x 2k Fresnels

- 1x Wall-of-Light

- 4x 4'4bank Kinos

We had a pretty complete crew and the stage manager made sure that we were setting up the distrobution correctly. Instead of renting a Fischer 10 like we planned we got an amazing steadicam operator to come on for 3 hours.

KRS was very entertaining and because he was feeling the treatment he was very excited for most of the set ups. There were guest appearances from lots of hip hop moguls, but I was unaware of most of their presences because I was lighting the whole time.

The original budget was for 35mm but because the project ended up going entirely green screen we decided that HD made the most sense. I enjoyed lighting by monitor and waveform. I used Michael Nash's advice about keeping the greeen screen evenly lit by +/- 10 footcandles. With the spacelites I kept the wall at around 45-55 footcandles for most of the shoot.

The 10k had a large chimera with 40 degree litetools eggcrates. I wanted to have a 30 degree and 50 degree but oddly enough they only had the inbetween. The wall-of-lite turned out to be a little to big for the relatively small light it put out. We would have had to build a speed rail rig to get it into position and we didn't have the time for that.

The video is supposed to air on MTV/BET/VH1 but I'm not involved that process. Once the video is released I'll have a shiny h.264 quicktime on my site. There is also a behind the scene documentary that will be released with the video, hopefully.

SET PHOTOS

http://www.mattworkman.com/dp-v2/setphotos.html

Cheers,

Matt

• Premium Member
I used Michael Nash's advice about keeping the greeen screen evenly lit by +/- 10 footcandles. With the spacelites I kept the wall at around 45-55 footcandles for most of the shoot.

Hey Matt, glad you had a good shoot. It looks like you had fun.

To give proper credit, the +/- 10 footcandles part was Walter's contribution.

Let us know when there is a cut we can see!

Hey Guys,

Yeah the shoot was as smooth as I've ever seen. Good producing and good crew.

The steadicam operator was Jon Meyers (www.jonmyers.tv) He was really really great.

I'll definitely update this thread when the video drops.

Cheers,

Matt

Edited by Matt Workman

• 2 weeks later...

The music video is still in production/post-production. Lots of green screen pickups, background stuff, and editing.

Video Static featured the production online @ http://www.videostatic.com/vs/2007/week18/...#entry-33464554 Todd very generously chose a photo with me, KRS, and himself in it. I wish I struck a better pose, I'm horrible in front of the camera, which you might see if they post the behind the scenes doc where I got interviewed...ewww.

Definitely link to the video when its out.

Cheers,

Matt :ph34r: