M. David Mullen's "Student Filmmaker" article 4/07

Hey David,

I've only had my free subscription to SF for so long, are you a regular in the mag?

Very nice write up btw, some interesting tips that I'm actually curious about trying out.

If you have any examples of the "soft topper" method, I'd like to see it.

cheers,

• Premium Member

It?s a real cool magazine, I haven't seen this current issue (I wrote something for it but don't know if I made it into them on time for this issue), but I always really like your articles David. I still have no idea how you have time for writing all these posts and articles, it?s a talent!

Kevin Zanit

Hey David,

I've only had my free subscription to SF for so long, are you a regular in the mag?

Very nice write up btw, some interesting tips that I'm actually curious about trying out.

If you have any examples of the "soft topper" method, I'd like to see it.

cheers,

so whats a "soft topper"?

• Premium Member

A topper is generally a solid (black) flag placed to shadow the top of the light, like to darken the top of a wall that the light is hitting. Now we sometimes use the word "soft" or "hard" to describe how sharp we want the shadow to be, but in this case, I'm referring to the use of a diffusion frame as a topper rather than a solid flag.

The light coming below the diffusion frame is hard but the light hitting the frame is softened, so you get the shadow edge from the diffusion frame but the subject is also hit with soft light coming through the diffusion, as well as the hard light coming from below the diffusion -- creating the effect of a soft key light with a hard slash of light raking the bottom of the subject.

The light coming below the diffusion frame is hard but the light hitting the frame is softened, so you get the shadow edge from the diffusion frame but the subject is also hit with soft light coming through the diffusion, as well as the hard light coming from below the diffusion -- creating the effect of a soft key light with a hard slash of light raking the bottom of the subject.

David,

Can you provide an example of when this was appropriate? It sounds interesting, but I can't think of a good time to implement it.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I wrote something for it but don't know if I made it into them on time for this issue...

Hey Kevin,

Read your article in the mag this month. A very nice and tight piece on dealing with the elements safely and such. Some invaluable information there.

And yet another piece by David is included about shooting "Solstice" which he's of course mentioned here.

Any word on a release date yet?

It?s a real cool magazine, I haven't seen this current issue (I wrote something for it but don't know if I made it into them on time for this issue), but I always really like your articles David. I still have no idea how you have time for writing all these posts and articles, it?s a talent!

Kevin Zanit

I used to post on their forum ( well I posted 3 times ) they ended up banning me ( Kim Welch ) because I asked a question about the time stop effect Zach did on the show on the lot, he said it had nothing to do with the show. Thats how I ended up finding this forum, Which Is very informative.

Thanks!

Odd that you were banned, I am not familiar with the thread/ situation. I check in there every few days, not as regularly as I do here.

It actually started with me name, My business name is Chapman Photography so I registered with that name, and I was told since I don't advertise with student film maker I can not use that name, So I said fine go a head and change it to my name. He said no and changed it to vphotography. When I tried to log in it said failed so I emailed them and I was told that I was banned/flagged because my post title had nothing to do with the show on the lot. I emailed him back and explained to him that it did and he said oh sorry, good luck in the future. Till this day I can't log in at that site. Thats fine though because David Mullen is on this site as well and in my opion its a lot better.

• 1 year later...
I used to post on their forum ( well I posted 3 times ) they ended up banning me ( Kim Welch ) because I asked a question about the time stop effect Zach did on the show on the lot, he said it had nothing to do with the show. Thats how I ended up finding this forum, Which Is very informative.

I don't remember deleting you or saying anything to you about the show. I might have. I make mistakes but i also do my best to run a clean forum and for awhile i had spammers spaming so much that i spent hours deleting spam from all kinds. I usually only delete if someone logs on and starts posting links right off the bat or advertising in an overt way without concern for the community spirit which we want to be a learning and inspiring educational kind of thing. I love the motion picture industry. I don't say that to sound cool. I have loved motion picture and movies from age 2 or 3 and when I worked on the JFK movie building sets and doing cet trim work when it was shot in Dallas I didn't want to do anything else but work on making movies from then on. So, i will be around as long as God allows and i won't be working in any other industry. you are welcome to post again any an all information about industry that is educational. again, i sure don't remember telling anyone someting about a "stop effect" on a show. I know very little. I need to learn a lot. I am pretty fast and good about saying "i don't know"

For David and Kevin.

You guys are awsome and we apreciate all the help and work you have shared. David you are simply great. We were thinking about creating a Motion Picture Bortherhood Award or something like that and making you our first to recieve it so you could be the standard.

Truly

Kim Welch

Edited by Kim Welch

• 6 years later...

People were banned that should not have been banned. I apologize for that. We had an overwhelming attack of spammers at the time on the StudentFilmmakers forums. It was extremely frustrating and out of control. We were deleting spam by the hundreds everyday on our network and forums a one point. It was a very difficult time trying to put out a monthly magazine and manage the forums. Our studentfilmmakers site is under control after many security scans and security measures set up. Everyday hackers hit out site and attack us mostly from china including denial of service attacks. I get thousands each day that are blocked by our firewall, proxy and security software.

Please forgive me if I banned anyone out of frustration that didn't need to be banned. I love the motion picture business and all the people that work in it deserve respect and regard. If there is Anything I can do to make it up to you please let me know.

Truly

Best Regards

Kim

Yes, I'm getting the band back together! :) Actually , we have been on an every two month cycle and only printing what we can afford so a lot of the free subscribers didn't get magazines. We have printed as many as we can when we can. Truth is we almost died in the great reccession and it's been like a struggle against devil ever since. Hard to print 24,000 magazines with no sponsors. But I tried of course! I am so stupid. I spent all my savings and then much more. However, we are not dead yet and I'm old but I have a lot of kick left in me. I clossed a deal with two major companies last week. They are partnering to do a sponsored issue to help us get out a full print run and help us start it up to full print subscription distribution. If you were on my old subscribers list you should get it soon. The date is out of my control or I would tell you exactly. Soon as I have the final date I will let you know.