M. David Mullen's "Student Filmmaker" article 4/07

Yes, I'm getting the band back together! :) Actually , we have been on an every two month cycle and only printing what we can afford so a lot of the free subscribers didn't get magazines. We have printed as many as we can when we can. Truth is we almost died in the great reccession and it's been like a struggle against devil ever since. Hard to print 24,000 magazines with no sponsors. But I tried of course! I am so stupid. I spent all my savings and then much more. However, we are not dead yet and I'm old but I have a lot of kick left in me. I clossed a deal with two major companies last week. They are partnering to do a sponsored issue to help us get out a full print run and help us start it up to full print subscription distribution. If you were on my old subscribers list you should get it soon. The date is out of my control or I would tell you exactly. Soon as I have the final date I will let you know.

Dude, certainly not blasting you now or for your previous efforts. You had some really great reading in the magazine. Good solid articles and information and no overblown egos. Are or will things still be based out of the NYC area?

Can there be an online version of each issue for subscribers or is that nearly as costly as print?

Edited by JD Hartman

Not sure where home base will be yet. Our top considred cities are LA, Dallas, and NYC. We will def be doing workshops and things in NYC and LA. We awlays make a digital version and yes it is less costly when we don't print and ship. We habe about 11,000 schools that are subscribers. It was the educators that were most upset about having to cut back. Some schools used the magazine as required reading. We will def have a digital version.

Edited by EddieWelch

• Premium Member

Not sure where home base will be yet. Our top considred cities are LA, Dallas, and NYC. We will def be doing workshops and things in NYC and LA. We awlays make a digital version and yes it is less costly when we don't print and ship. We habe about 11,000 schools that are subscribers. It was the educators that were most upset about having to cut back. Some schools used the magazine as required reading. We will def have a digital version.

I believe my grad school - Long Island University (Brooklyn Campus) - used to subscribe because there were always old issues laying around the Media Arts department that I'd pick up. Ironically, I'm auditing a class this fall which starts tomorrow. So I'll let them know you guys are going to start things up again.