A super 8 camera that is affordable and has features

Galen Carter-Jeffrey

Hi!!

ebay is one of the best places to buy super 8 cameras.

i thing you should look for a 1014canon, a beaulieu (maybe 2008s is the cheapest) or of want some more cheap but a good camera go for a quartz zenit.

bye!!!

Treegan

My friend is looking to buy a super 8 camera and doesn't want to spend more than $400. Is it possible to get one for this price that has many user features and manual settings? Is ebay the best place to look for these cameras?

Ebay is one such place to get a high end super 8 camera. I notice Nikon 8x Super Zooms seem to go fairly cheap on ebay - they have quite a few features and manual exposure control but not quite as feature packed as some of the high end models.

Another place to get super 8 cameras dirt cheap is flea markets. It's not uncommon to find a super 8 camera with manual exposure control, single frame, slow motion etc for under $30 or $20 at a market. Make sure you bring along some AA batteries to test the camera. Be wary of some cameras that use certain types of mercury batteries for the light meter as these batteries have been banned in most countries and the replacement types do not always give accurate light readings. Unfortunately, I think the Nikon 8x Super Zoom may fall into this category - it would be good to hear from people who have had experience at using these replacement type batteries in such cameras.

You should be able to find a high end Canon like the 814xl-s or possibly a 1014xl-s for around $400 on ebay. I use the 814 xl-s and it is absolutely wonderful. THe top-end Nikons are great too, although they seem to be a bit more pricey than the Canons in my limited searching.

• Premium Member
You should be able to find a high end Canon like the 814xl-s or possibly a 1014xl-s for around $400 on ebay. I use the 814 xl-s and it is absolutely wonderful. THe top-end Nikons are great too, although they seem to be a bit more pricey than the Canons in my limited searching.

eBay is the best and worst place to get a super-8 camera because many times the owner is getting rid of the camera because it has a problem they don't want to pay to have fixed, or they are selling a camera they haven't used in a real long time and can't vouch for it's condition, and sometimes they have moved on and want to get their money out of it (nothing wrong with the last reason). Some eBay sellers are attempting to be more responsible by trying to make a living at selling super-8 cameras but usually those cameras will cost more, hopefully one is getting more value but one never knows.

The bottom line is really read what the seller is saying about the camera and don't be afraid to email them with your questions.

want some more cheap but a good camera go for a quartz zenit.

I had two zenits and both had dissapointing picture quality, the lens is rather soft. It's a funny camera, and cheap(got mine for 15$), but for serious filming I'd get Leicina, Canon, Nizo, Beaulieu, Elmo, Nikon etc...

German ebay is your best bet. Wherever you are in the world, as super 8 was/is so popular there that there is loads of equipment available.

Best budget cameras with the most features, I would recommend the Zenit Quarz (solidly built and can go anywhere with a reasonable range of features)- get a 1990s model- the lens IS sharp.

Alternatively a Sankyo EM-40XL will give you 18/24/36 fps, single-frame, intervalometer, self-timer, manual exposure, macrofocus and XL shutter for a fraction of the cost of a Nizo. It was made right into the 1980s too. It's a 40/160 only on auto-exposure though.

Edited by Gerard Furber

Ebay is always a good resource hunt for bargains, but not the most reliable. I can't tell you how many times I've been ripped off with garbage battery corroded cameras and fungus filled lenses. Most of the cameras I've gotten usually require service costing at least $100 - 200.00 (if they can be fixed). Some just get thrown out when they arrive.

If you need a more reliable source you may want to consider a good camera store as well. Spectra sells cameras for $100.00 and up that have been serviced and film tested. If problems arise you can always count on their warranty. Some of these cameras run quieter and better than anything I have ever owned. Check out their current list here: http://www.spectrafilmandvideo.com/Cameras.html

The drawback is that Spectra cameras are typically more expensive than ebay. But, if you figure in ebay shipping, film tests and servicing you may soon realize that Spectra has some of the best deals going with a solid warranty as a bonus. Not to mention the time and trouble you can save yourself.

If you insist on ebay I can only advise that you avoid sellers that do not accept PayPal. Be sure to bid low on anything you buy because it will probably require service. Avoid bidding frenzies. Consider shipping costs into the camera price. Be sure to carefully read the description. Ask questions if information (such as shipping cost) is not provided. Be suspicious!

Good luck with your search! ;)

My friend is looking to buy a super 8 camera and doesn't want to spend more than $400. Is it possible to get one for this price that has many user features and manual settings? Is ebay the best place to look for these cameras?

where are you located?

• Premium Member

I think it's a shame to throw away a Super-8 camera because even if it doesn't work it can always become spare parts for another camera just like it.

Spectra actually has a Canon 814-XLS (or maybe it's a 1014XLS) in their rental department that is the quietest running Canon I've ever heard. It's no guarantee they can do that with everyone's Canon but it is pretty impressive, and quiet.

Ebay is always a good resource hunt for bargains, but not the most reliable. I can't tell you how many times I've been ripped off with garbage battery corroded cameras and fungus filled lenses. Most of the cameras I've gotten usually require service costing at least $100 - 200.00 (if they can be fixed). Some just get thrown out when they arrive.
I think it's a shame to throw away a Super-8 camera because even if it doesn't work it can always become spare parts for another camera just like it.

Alessandro is right! Spectra Film and any of the other businesses who repair S8 Cameras would gladly take these for spare parts.

How are the Bauers? There are a lot on eBay.

Spectra rents Super 8s for $150/day! Thats ridiculous!

If you want auto exposure then a Bauer is not such a great choice as most of them (the newer ones at least) only meter 40T or 160T (and 25D/100D with the filter).

What's the difference between the CANON 1014 and the 1014 XL-S?

Price (Usually at least US$100 more for XL-S)

Age (1970s vs 1980s)

Silent vs sound (XL-S takes sound cartridges and is slightly quieter).

variable shutter (0,37,75,150 degrees AZ Electronic vs 150 and 220 plus fades XL-S)

Lens (7.5-75mm on the AZ and 6.5-65mm on the XL-S). Some also claim the AZ is slightly sharper than the XL-S.

Frame rates identical except AZ has 54fps slomo, XL-S only 36fps.

Probably more differences too. (Like the ability to double expose on the AZ while can only dissolve on the XL-S)

How are the Bauers? There are a lot on eBay.

Spectra rents Super 8s for $150/day! Thats ridiculous!

Not really. They rent well maintained Canon 1014XLS cameras for far less than Pro8 cameras. And, their equipment produces better results.

As cheap as I admit I am, i've actually rented their cameras for important projects. They were very quiet and reliable. While their price is not rock bottom, their 1014 cameras are better than any I have rented elsewhere. For me, thats a sweet bargain. ;)

go for a nice nizo, most modals go for a bargin rate these days, i got a nizo s800 the other day for just

£20($40) including delivery(ace, a beautiful camera cant wait to use it in a shoot), got it from a ebay i was lucky mind you to get it for such a good price, but keep an eye out they are around, my friend got a nizo integral 7(not as many features but a nice cam) for £15 ($30) at a carboot.

tell him to keep an eye out, they are all pretty cool, some basic but some nicer pro modals then most manufacturers, (nizo Braun)

hope this helps

carl spring

go for a nice nizo, most modals go for a bargin rate these days, i got a nizo s800 the other day for just

£20($40) including delivery(ace, a beautiful camera cant wait to use it in a shoot), got it from a ebay i was lucky mind you to get it for such a good price, but keep an eye out they are around, my friend got a nizo integral 7(not as many features but a nice cam) for £15 ($30) at a carboot.

tell him to keep an eye out, they are all pretty cool, some basic but some nicer pro modals then most manufacturers, (nizo Braun)

hope this helps

carl spring

He convinced me to buy a canon 1014 AZ. I hope its good. I paid $190 for it on ebay and it's description said it was in working order with a camera test. We'll see.

Edited by Galen Carter-Jeffrey

Quite a few have 36, 52 or even faster frame rates.

I've got a beaulieu 6008pro which goes up to 80 fps... looks great...

re: the original question - canon 1014xls is a great, great camera, but having now gone to beaulieu, couldn't imagine going back. bit trickier to handle than others I've tried but the rewards make perseverance worthwhile. I'd also recommend Nizo's for their design and user friendliness - I've got a little S40 for holiday shooting - love it... and it only cost me $10...