If you could make a film on ANY book/story...

Dan Goldberg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P.K.Dick's 'The Three Stigmata of Eldritch Palmer'. Done somewhat as an outer Limits episode, though in color&scope.

Clifford Simak's 'They Walked Like Men'. Shape shifting bowling balls take over the earth by buying up all of the real estate & not renewing leases, thus evicting everybody.

Fred Pohl's 'A Plague of Pythons/ Demon in the Skull'. A good chunk of it takes place in Hawaii, so I always pictured it with Hawaii Five Oh lighting. One of the things that happens in the opening chapter on the night that civilization collapses is that a jetliner is crashed into the Pentagon.

Pohl and Kornbluth's 'Gladiator at Law'. Fun anti-corporate satire.

von Kleist's 'St.Cecelia; or the Power of Music' is great, but too short for a feature. Too expensive for a short.

His 'The Foundling' might be stretched into an 80 or 90 minute feature.

Of course, since the demise of double features, anything lessthan 120 minutes feels like a ripoff & anything shorter than 100 minutes is definitely a ripoff.

Perhaps some Tom Sharp stuff. 'The Great Pursuit' takes place in the US or the South African police novels.

I'll never forget the exploding ostriches.

From History:

'Operation: Scappa Flow'. Gunther Prien & the U-47 sink the battleship Royal Oak. Sort of the Werner Hertzog version of Of 'Destination Tokyo. Lots of Aurora Borealis scenes.

'The Renagade Simon Girty'. I've yet to decide if he was a true villian or a scapegoat.

haha :lol:

I'm surprised to see so many people wanting to "redo" an already existing film (and many for good reason :P ). Just surprised me is all.

Well. I suppose if given the chance there'd be a lot of remakes around. Everyone putting there own unique stamp on the original story.

I hope Phil Rhodes doesn't find this post.

I'll chime in. . .

Any of Alistair Reynolds' Inhibitor trilogy stuff

Anything by Lovecraft. . .(maybe minus the rabid racism/Anti-semitism)

(yes I know some already have, but come on. . .let's try harder)

But they would fu** it up. They always do.

Actually dramatic stories about flawed genii have been pretty popular over the years. It just might be possible to get the House of Mouse to bite on a script that showed Walt's warts provided it was pretty PR puffy about his strong suits.

Maybe so but some parts of Walt Disney's life go to far for even the most liberal exec.

Lets see:

• His extreme right wing nature.
  • Hiring gangsters to threaten studio strikers
  • His fury over the lude behaviour that occured on a company holiday
  • His nervous breakdown after hiring those prementioined gangsters - he washed his hands every 15 minutes
  • His hatred of his spoilt nephew Roy - who now plays the part of the devoted 'heir'.
  • His infatuation with building Epcot - which was not a theme park but an actual utopian comunity which would have bankruppted the company.
  • His love of corn-beef.
  • His increased alcholism - including his favourite breakfast, donuts diped in wisky.
  • And Perhaps worst of all, the fact he had to be taught to draw Mickey Mouse for public events.

Not to mention his general bullish and intolerant nature, which spoils the 'Uncle Walt' image created by brass statues in Disney land.

Maybe so but some parts of Walt Disney's life go to far for even the most liberal exec.

Lets see:

• His extreme right wing nature.
  • Hiring gangsters to threaten studio strikers
  • His fury over the lude behaviour that occured on a company holiday
  • His nervous breakdown after hiring those prementioined gangsters - he washed his hands every 15 minutes
  • His hatred of his spoilt nephew Roy - who now plays the part of the devoted 'heir'.
  • His infatuation with building Epcot - which was not a theme park but an actual utopian comunity which would have bankruppted the company.
  • His love of corn-beef.
  • His increased alcholism - including his favourite breakfast, donuts diped in wisky.
  • And Perhaps worst of all, the fact he had to be taught to draw Mickey Mouse for public events.

Not to mention his general bullish and intolerant nature, which spoils the 'Uncle Walt' image created by brass statues in Disney land.

Wow, I did not know that...

[*]His hatred of his spoilt nephew Roy - who now plays the part of the devoted 'heir'.

[*]His love of corn-beef.

The corned beef doesn't sound all that bad.

Ever notice that Roy looks a lot more like Uncle Walt than he does Roy Sr.?

The corned beef doesn't sound all that bad.

Oh it may sound innocent, but corned beef is the most reliable yet subtle 'evil' indicator know to man, its fans include Hitler and Stalin.

Rupert Murdoc likes it in toast

Mugabe loves corn beef so much, he's actually commisioned for Michael Angelo's David to be copied and made in Corn Beef as a gift to his wife.

Bin Laden sits in a cave with a pile of cans on one side of him and his kidney dialisis on the other.

Even Jack the Ripper was know to leave behind a victorian can of the tined meat behind at the scene of a crime.

Thats why stores still sell it, nobody actually makes any profit from the stuff any more, but they do it on the FBIs insistence that its a great way of uncovering terrists and serial killers.

Ever notice that Roy looks a lot more like Uncle Walt than he does Roy Sr.?

Dam it, your right!

I would be suspicious, if I hadn't formed the opinion that Walt wasn't really interested in woman enough to shag his brothers wife.

Apparently there was a story that Walt and animator Ward Kimbal were at a Railroad Convention (yes a railroad convention!) taking part in a show, when the two of them had to run through a group of female dancers' dressing room to get to the stage. Many of the woman were topless in a costume change, and Kimbal called to Walt saying 'hey lets slow down,' Walt replied, 'Once you've seen one set you've seen them all!'

Edited by Andy_Alderslade

Bin Laden sits in a cave with a pile of cans on one side of him and his kidney dialisis on the other.

As a devout Muslim, he can't eat Spam®. They might be able to use it for target practice. Paste pictures of Cheney on the cans, blow some bird whistles and...

Can the sales of bulk quantities of Spam® be corrolated with ammunition sales?

As a devout Muslim, he can't eat Spam®. They might be able to use it for target practice. Paste pictures of Cheney on the cans, blow some bird whistles and...

Can the sales of bulk quantities of Spam® be corrolated with ammunition sales?

Ah you see, thats why he's a devout Corned Beef fan, knowing that he can't eat Spam because of its pork content.

Now Cheney he's a devout Spam fan - a different type of canned evil.

The War on Terror is really the war of Spam vs Corned Beef.

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest I can't tell you haha I have 2 projects that I'm saving for my self and they are honestly the best stories for me

Also I would love to make the final episode fo Pirates of the Dark Water at Cartoon Network it was the biggest bummer when the canceled that show

Best

To be honest I can't tell you haha I have 2 projects that I'm saving for my self and they are honestly the best stories for me

Thats great! You're smart to keep your ideas to yourself too ;) . Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

There was a book I read awhile ago "Confessions of an English Opium Eater" by Thomas de Quincey that I think could be made interesting. Aside from that, I'd like to try to pull off an adaptation of some of the epic poem work of Milton or Dante; the Inferno, or perhaps Paradise Lost.

• Premium Member

I'd like to adapt "Speaker for the Dead" by Orson Scott Card. Actually, the whole "Ender's Game" series might make a great TV series, could run for years. I'm sure the rights would cost a fortune.

Like David, I also enjoyed the "Doctor Doolittle" books as a kid and would like to see them remade properly as a period fantasy. I agree that the "African native" elements would need to be addressed first, though.