If you could make a film on ANY book/story...

Dan Goldberg

I have a large goal in my life of adapting Stephen King's "The Gunslinger". I think there's much of that book (and series) that would need to be tweaked to be a film or mini-series, but I think there is something incredibly cinematic.

I'm doing a Western as my Thesis film that (if it works) I'd like to take to King as a way of saying "look what my vision of the western is."

We'll see. :rolleyes:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I've heard King has a reputation for being very generous with small filmmakers about getting the rights to use his short stories, he maybe more open than some other writers but for a series of books like that I DO think he would want a BUNCH of money, but if you could ever get him to agree to it, it would be an increadable tale. I'd approach him about doing one of his short stories, see if you can get him to argee, do a good job with that, build a relationship and rapport and who knows, maybe you will get your wish down the road. B)

Actually, I've heard King has a reputation for being very generous with small filmmakers about getting the rights to use his short stories, he maybe more open than some other writers but for a series of books like that I DO think he would want a BUNCH of money, but if you could ever get him to agree to it, it would be an increadable tale. I'd approach him about doing one of his short stories, see if you can get him to argee, do a good job with that, build a relationship and rapport and who knows, maybe you will get your wish down the road. B)

That's what a few people have told me. Unfortunately, most of his short stories that I really like have already been done, but when I'm done next year with my Thesis, I think I'll be looking for a King short story to make a short film. :)

• 1 month later...
That's what a few people have told me. Unfortunately, most of his short stories that I really like have already been done, but when I'm done next year with my Thesis, I think I'll be looking for a King short story to make a short film. :)

thats awesome stuff.

i always wondered if and how epic works of literature like the Divine Comedy and The Odyssey would be made into a film...hmmm.

actually i'm writing a novel right now, and I tend to write stories that are "film-able", and the story i am writing I think would make an excellent film. We'll see. :rolleyes:

Well, then you're in luck, the Odyssey's been made into a movie already called "Ulysses" (Kirk Douglas, Paramount , 1955). I thought it was a terrific picture, 'coarse what isn't with Kirk Douglas in it? And the French did a version of the Divine Comedy in 1991 (A Divina Comédia), I never say that one though B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

• Premium Member
but corned beef is the most reliable yet subtle 'evil' indicator know to man, its fans include Hitler and Stalin.

Of course you're kidding here. But just to set the record straight, Hitler was a vegetarian. No corned beed or spam for him. He also suffered from indigestion and flatulence.

-- J.S.

Of course you're kidding here. But just to set the record straight, Hitler was a vegetarian. No corned beed or spam for him. He also suffered from indigestion and flatulence.

-- J.S.

Sure, red beans instead of red meat.

& it was the Nazis who came up with all this antiTobacco propaganda.

If you have to go out into the street to smoke, then Hitler's won!

& the Nazis were also a bunch of NewAgers. Remember that the next time you check your horoscope.

To get back on off-topic: the next Beverly Hillbillies movie, 'Jethro on Deathrow'.

• Premium Member

Well, this will probably never happen, but I would love to see a very good film adaptation of Robert Jordon's fantasy series. It's as interesting and in depth as Tolkien's writing but, in my opinion, has a great deal more character development and change than the LoTR series.

• Premium Member
Well, this will probably never happen, but I would love to see a very good film adaptation of Robert Jordon's fantasy series. It's as interesting and in depth as Tolkien's writing but, in my opinion, has a great deal more character development and change than the LoTR series.

If he ever finishes it... I stopped reading after #8 or so -- had to get on with my life, ya know? But I agree, the battle of Emond's Field at the end of book 4 would be totally amazing on film. And now I've just outed myself as a flaming fantasy dork. Cheers!

• Premium Member
If he ever finishes it... I stopped reading after #8 or so -- had to get on with my life, ya know? But I agree, the battle of Emond's Field at the end of book 4 would be totally amazing on film. And now I've just outed myself as a flaming fantasy dork. Cheers!

I think it's up to 10 or 11 now. They could be spectacular but it would almost have to be years and years of high-budget 1-hour drama episodes to do it any justice.

• Premium Member

That would be great, but there are a couple of problems with the 1 hour drama idea -- for one, you'd have to sign the actors to long-term contracts from the beginning (big cast, too). And you'd constantly have to build new sets and find new locations for every episode. Tons of CG and makeup work too. Don't know how it could be done realistically, unless it's animated.

• Premium Member
That would be great, but there are a couple of problems with the 1 hour drama idea -- for one, you'd have to sign the actors to long-term contracts from the beginning (big cast, too). And you'd constantly have to build new sets and find new locations for every episode. Tons of CG and makeup work too. Don't know how it could be done realistically, unless it's animated.

True, I'm being idealistic here. Don't crush it.

I just mean that to really present the entire series of books in a satisfying manner, it would have to be more of a series than a bunch of features for me. I think it would flow better since each chapter or two could make a good hour episode.