Hard Drive Space...

Gary McClurg

Tried a search... even went through the threads as fast as I could... but does anyone know how much space it'll take up on hard drives for ediitng...

Like a chump I stopped by and looked at the Viper at NAB just in case something happen and I forgot to ask this of the rep showing the camera...

Just wondering in simple math... for example 5 gigs equals a minute of running time...

Just wanting to know because the just in case might happen... in other words my producer friend and myself (I was to line produce) passed on a film because someone there isn't always nice...

Well the day I had this funny feeling to look at the Viper was the day the new producer quick the project... and they're shooting on the Viper... so just thought I check it out..

Even went to the Thompson site but they didn't have any answers under their FAQ's pdf...

That's actually the dual link 4:4:4 rate.

For traditional high-definition video production, the Viper FilmStream Camera also supports a full resolution RGB video mode and a YUV video mode via a single HD-SDI cable (1.485 Gb/s).

The Viper FilmStream Camera transfers its output to data tape or disk recorder as a FilmStream datastream using a dual HD-SDI link as a carrier, with a combined data rate of 2.978 Gb/s.

Now you have to tell me if I'm wrong because I might have completely misunderstood this, but here goes.

Single link

1485 Gb/s

/8 = 185,625 MB/s

*60 = 11 137,5 MB/m

*60 = 668 250 MB/h

Edited by Alexander Joyce