1.85 ratio with anamorphic lenses

Jaxon Bridge

I had a fellow tell me recently:

It is not an unusual practice to shoot an 1:1.85 film with anamorphic lenses to get a better image resolution: it's a gain of about 50% more vertical resolution.

This really surprised me. While I recently noticed that the 1.85:1 movie Babel had anamorphic scenes due to a multi-format production, I can't imagine there are actually too many movies shooting Scope for 1.85:1 distribution. Can anyone name a few?

This guy is in Berlin, and I know European formats do differ somewhat.

Jaxon

• Premium Member

It's extremely unusual to use 2X anamorphic lenses for 1.85 -- afterall, despite the fact that you use the full negative height, you now have to crop the sides a lot to get 2.39 back to 1.85, negating any grain benefits. This guy has no idea what he's talking about.

It's extremely unusual to use 2X anamorphic lenses for 1.85 -- afterall, despite the fact that you use the full negative height, you now have to crop the sides a lot to get 2.39 back to 1.85, negating any grain benefits. This guy has no idea what he's talking about.

That's what I thought. Thanks for clearing it up!

Guest Stephen Murphy
That's what I thought. Thanks for clearing it up!

The guy could have been referring to European commercials. It's not uncommon to shoot a commercial with anamorphics composing only for 16x9 when a director/DP wants anamorphic artifacts but the agency/client dont want a 2.35:1 image.

I had a fellow tell me recently:

It is not an unusual practice to shoot an 1:1.85 film with anamorphic lenses to get a better image resolution: it's a gain of about 50% more vertical resolution.

This really surprised me. While I recently noticed that the 1.85:1 movie Babel had anamorphic scenes due to a multi-format production, I can't imagine there are actually too many movies shooting Scope for 1.85:1 distribution. Can anyone name a few?

This guy is in Berlin, and I know European formats do differ somewhat.

VantageFilm has ground glasses for anamorphic marked with side lines for 1.85/1 nd 1.77/1.

Though every so often Isco tries to push asystem, Iscovision, with 1.5x squeeze for 1.85/1 projection.

The neg gives a 1.77/1 image which is slightly cropped to 1.85/1.

Here's a letter from Johm Pytlak about it:

http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byform/mail...9/msg00042.html