Compact Camera Suggestions

Raul C Palma

I am looking for suggestions on a good "compact" S8 camera. I want a small camera with good glass that is easy to carry while traveling.

Thanks

the eumig minis are the most compact I know. Only the mini5 has focus, the others have fixed focus. It's a long time ago I've used my mini2, can't remember about the glass quality.

The canon 310XL is very compact, the glass is not top high end, but surprising for a small plastic camera. The canon 318 is compact too.

A good thing are cameras with removable pistolgrip, without it's much easier to carry.

Or a camera with interchangeable lenses and use a short prime. My leicina with the 10mm schneider is rather compact and gave me some of the sharpest images I had on S8. You could do this with a beaulieu and get rid of the pistolgrip. But you would be stuck with one prime.

I don't know how compact you need, it's mostly the zoom range that defines the size, if you can live with a lens that doesn't go further than 36mm you might find rather compact cameras.

cheers, Bernhard

Nizos make good travel cameras because they're robust (most, if not all, have a metal body), and many of them have folding handles that help to keep them very compact. I had a Nizo 116 that I was very happy with, and I didn't hesitate to pack it in a suitcase or travel bag, as it always held up very well. Most have great German-designed glass, and the 116 at least is about as compact as you can make a Super-8 camera with a useful zoom lens.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was doing some research and I think that the canon 518, although is not super compact, has very good glass and is not as big.

What do you guys think about the 518 Auto Zoom?

I had two of these, didn't like'em at all. I gave both away, for free...

You can't get off the handle which makes it rather bulky. It's a long time ago, but if I remember right I wasn't very pleased with results I had with it, not sure if the glass is any good. But this is all very subjective.

If you're really going to buy a 518 make sure to get a Super8-model they also made a Single8-version it has a SV in the name "Canon 518 SV Autozoom"

In my first post I forgot about the compact nizos, I only can second what the others said...

You can't get off the handle which makes it rather bulky. It's a long time ago, but if I remember right I wasn't very pleased with results I had with it, not sure if the glass is any good. But this is all very subjective.

If you're really going to buy a 518 make sure to get a Super8-model they also made a Single8-version it has a SV in the name "Canon 518 SV Autozoom"

My first camera was a 518 Autozoom and I was pretty pleased with the results from it, however, I definitely wouldn't call it a compact camera because of the big handle and it doesn't have 24fps.

If you're set on getting a 518 get the SV model which was the last in the 518 series and has 24fps and a slightly different body and handle design. (Canon made both a single 8 version and a super 8 version of this camera, but I've never seen the single 8 version while the super 8 version is on ebay quite frequently.)

If you're set on getting a 518 get the SV model which was the last in the 518 series and has 24fps and a slightly different body and handle design. (Canon made both a single 8 version and a super 8 version of this camera, but I've never seen the single 8 version while the super 8 version is on ebay quite frequently.)

Sorry for providing wrong info, I was telling complete nonsense, allthough in remembered it this way...

To know it better I checked http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Canon_518_SV_Autozoom

cheers, Bernhard

I am looking for suggestions on a good "compact" S8 camera. I want a small camera with good glass that is easy to carry while traveling.

Thanks

I think the Canon 518 AZ is a good basic starter camera, but I wouldn't call it "compact". The 518 SV is better, but still not compact.

The Nizo's are a good choice becasue of the fold up handle.

I am surprised no one mentioned the Chinon pocket camera. Extremely compact, but limited lens and no 24 fps.

Rick

I think the Canon 518 AZ is a good basic starter camera, but I wouldn't call it "compact". The 518 SV is better, but still not compact.

The Nizo's are a good choice becasue of the fold up handle.

Rick

I just got a Nizo 156 Macro, it has the most features (intervalometer, 9/18/24/36 fps, manual or auto exposure, etc) and best ergonomics I've ever seen in a compact camera.