super 8mm film transfer to dvd. Where to go for good quality transfers

Jordi Dolcet

Hi everyone,

I am quite new to super 8. In fact I am a still life photographer just experimenting with motion picture cameras (super8 and 16mm). I would like to know what is the best way to transfer film to digital files (for posterior editing on a computer), what are the choices and which ones will render the best quality. I would like to know where (what labs or companies) will do a best job. But my main concern is finding out which transfer process will render the best image quality once it is in a digital file.

Thanks anyone in advance for helping out a rookie.

Jordi

...I would like to know what is the best way to transfer film to digital files...

Anyone with one of our Tobin Video Transfer machines (and there are about 140 of them in use worldwide) should be able to give fine results from reversal film. We don't claim they are good for doing negative.

We don't have a master list of users, in fact many want to keep it a secret so their competition doesn't find out their equipment source. Some have even covered up the nameplate with sticky labels so people on facility tours who have shown an excessive interest in the gear are foiled!

However, some TVT buyers are willing to talk to prospective purchasers and I will reward them for it by giving a link to our Testimonials page here: http://www.tobincinemasystems.com/page89.html

• 2 months later...

Jordi,

"best" is not a good term to use. Its all pretty subjective. If you are looking for the video copy of your footage that has the greatest potential of looking close to your film footage then transferr to Digibeta in a session that you supervise, on the best quality telecine you can find; or go directly to hard drive using a higher end codec. If by "best" you mean the faithfullness of the image to the camera original do not transfer to DVD. In that regard DVD is not good, nor is mini DV. That being said it is a matter of standards, and pleanty of people on this list would be perfectly happy with a mini DV transfer. On the other hand I'm not sure that transferring Super 8 to HD is the way to go. I'm not certain that HD will look that much better than digibeta. With 16mm, specifically super 16mm going to HD tape or an HD codec such as DVCPRO HD is your best best.

So you need to define "best" for yourself and weigh that against the economic factors, and your desired work flow to make the decision.