Just completed a Super 8 music video

John Sackey

there are no two viewpoints. i've no idea what alex is talking about. there's nothing wrong with having artistic ambition and videos in general get better the more artistic energy are put into them. that's a no brainer. it's the same with all design, which videos and commercials have more in common with than with art. the more creative you are and the better you express your vision the better the results, but if it doesn't serve the purpose it's worth *nothing*. and as for getting paid for what you do i just don't see the conflict. just ask gondry, funny you should mention him. i'm sure at least some of you already understood and the rest of you never will, so bye bye thread.

/matt

• Premium Member

Songs go through several stages of creation and then completion. All of these stages may take a week, or perhaps 3-6 months. But no matter how long or short it takes to craft and complete the song, as soon as the song is blessed and considered finished, the music video can't be made fast enough, and therein lies the problem.

I've never heard of a choice being given in the creation of a music video such as....here is 100 grand, you have 5 days to complete a music video versus, here is 100,000 grand, you have a month to complete the music video. The more the schedule is stretched in the making of a music video, the more the director can choose a non-commercial approach towards creating the music video, and in theory produce a superior product.

I just doubt that those who order the music video see the potential benefit in giving the director more time to finish a music video, it seems that no matter what the budget, getting the music video done as fast as possible is the desired goal, and I find that flawed.

So Mattias, if you accept the version of reality that wants the music video created in the shortest time span possible, that is fine, but you might want to consider the possibility of suggesting a stretching out of the schedule IF it might allow for a more creative and intriguing result.

I see more and more commercials lately made by some that used to be artists, but the concept and creativity is lost and diluted on trying to sell you something. SELL OUTS!!! Creativity tied to reality mistifies a lot more than when it's tied to a product, because then it's all just a product, not art. Fortunately I'm better off in my real job than I would be making commercials, and do what I want in film making. Thats another advantage that never gets mentioned when it comes to S8, artistic freedom.

• Premium Member
I see more and more commercials lately made by some that used to be artists, but the concept and creativity is lost and diluted on trying to sell you something. SELL OUTS!!! Creativity tied to reality mistifies a lot more than when it's tied to a product, because then it's all just a product, not art. Fortunately I'm better off in my real job than I would be making commercials, and do what I want in film making. Thats another advantage that never gets mentioned when it comes to S8, artistic freedom.

Having owned my own betacam sp camera for the past 10 years, I have no desire to shoot a feature film in either betacam sp or Hd and would much rather produce/shoot a feature film in Super-8 than any HD format.

Hey John,

Liked your video using the 200t. I am getting ready to shoot a video with the exact same setup. A Nizo 801 macro (i will also be using a canon 814) and 200t as my film of choice. If you have time could you give me any helpful advice from your experience with this combo.

thanks for your time,

Nate