Quick Question - Super 16IP or 35mm IN for telecine?

Isaac Chung

I already have a telecine for my Super 16mm IP, but half of it looks terrible, so I will need to do it again. The question is, since the film is already blown up to 35mm and I have a 35mm IN, should I do the telecine with the 35mm IN? Will it yield better results?

Sorry if this has been answered before--kind of in a rush and couldn't find any results on search.

Thanks,

Isaac

• Premium Member

Take both in and put a reel up and look at them and decide.

I've never gotten a straight answer from a colorist on that one, regarding whether it was better to use the S16 IP (because it was contact-printed and only one generation removed) or the 35mm IN (because it was steadier, bigger, etc.)

Trouble with the 35mm IN is that any S16 dust has been photographed into the image and is enlarged. So my guess would be to use the S16 IP, but if you've got both there, maybe you can take a look at a shot from both and decide.

Thanks Dave, in other words, I guess there's not clear answer--that's actually somehow comforting.

isaac

Take both in and put a reel up and look at them and decide.

I've never gotten a straight answer from a colorist on that one, regarding whether it was better to use the S16 IP (because it was contact-printed and only one generation removed) or the 35mm IN (because it was steadier, bigger, etc.)

Trouble with the 35mm IN is that any S16 dust has been photographed into the image and is enlarged. So my guess would be to use the S16 IP, but if you've got both there, maybe you can take a look at a shot from both and decide.

• Premium Member
Thanks Dave, in other words, I guess there's not clear answer--that's actually somehow comforting.

isaac

Hey Isaac, if you do get the chance to look at both on the telecine, would you mind posting back here with your findings? It would be interesting to hear how it works out for you.

I can do that, but there's a chance, b/c I'm pressed for time with my project, that I'll just go with whatever protocol is practically the fastest .

thanks,

isaac

Hey Isaac, if you do get the chance to look at both on the telecine, would you mind posting back here with your findings? It would be interesting to hear how it works out for you.