color retention after bleach bypass

Hi, I am shooting a project in HDV format and plan to do bleach by pass in post (digital) I'd like to get saturated burgundy color after bleach bypass. Does anyone know what color I should paint the wall so in the end, after the bleach by pass process I get burgundy color?

Thank you so much,

Ray

• Premium Member
Hi, I am shooting a project in HDV format and plan to do bleach by pass in post (digital) I'd like to get saturated burgundy color after bleach bypass. Does anyone know what color I should paint the wall so in the end, after the bleach by pass process I get burgundy color?

Thank you so much,

Ray

How well will the wall be lit? BB is in great part a contrast effect so that is an important detail.

• Premium Member
I can have as much necessary lighting as needed to get that color

Well, my point is that if you want the wall to be shadowed but still come out maroon, you would want to paint it a brighter red. If you don't know how you will light it, it's probably best to pick up paint about the sahde you want it on screen and then light it to taste. Since you're not chemically doing the bleach bypass, you can pretty much selectively adjust that wall however you want to.

Edited by Chris Keth

Well, my point is that if you want the wall to be shadowed but still come out maroon, you would want to paint it a brighter red. If you don't know how you will light it, it's probably best to pick up paint about the sahde you want it on screen and then light it to taste. Since you're not chemically doing the bleach bypass, you can pretty much selectively adjust that wall however you want to.

Thanks a lot. So basically I will rely on post production.

• Premium Member
Thanks a lot. So basically I will rely on post production.

There's a lot of ways to make a wall look dark red. You could underexpose a brighter red, for another example. I just think starting with a color close to what you want will help you end up with the right color with minimal noise.

plan to do bleach by pass in post (digital)
If you were doing a real bleach bypass I would give the standard answer to your question: test. If I understand it though, you are going to go for a bleach bypass effect in digital colour correction - so really, you can paint the wall any colour you want. But simply a brighter, more saturated version of your desired burgundy tome would be the way to go.

In fact, I'd say test anyway. Shoot a Macbeth chart, or get some paint cards with a range of reds on them - or a set of Pantone swatches - and shoot them. Include a flesh tone as well as a reference point.

BTW, does anyone else think it a little odd to talk about a bleach bypass process applied to HDV shots? It's a chemical process applied to film. If you are manipulating the colours digitally, why restrict your palette to a simulated chemical effect when there is so much more you could do that isn't possible in chemical processing?