16mm camera w/ 120m mag

Richardson Leao

Hi all,

I am organising a short film fest and my idea was a 16mm camera + film cans for the winner. As I don't think my budget will allow to buy a new cam, I would like suggestions on what to get. I have a kinor 16 and I love it but i think they are out of season on ebay (just found one w/o the 120m mag). So, I thought about getting suggestions on 16mm cameras (towards the cheap side) that have/can take 120m mags that I should keep my eyes opened for. Many many thanks!

richardson

A Super 16 camera would be more useful. Since you haven't given a budget, but are buying on e-bay an Aaton LTR, Arri 16SR I or II, Eclair NPR or ACL or CP16R would be reasonable.

However, if you're giving these cameras away as a prize, I'd have them overhauled first otherwise the winner could be down a fair amount of money getting them checked out and in good working order.

Guest Ian Marks

A better award, in my opinion, would be to give the winner a certificate for X number of dollars from a lab which offers film, processing, and video transfers (Spectra would be a good one), and let the winner decide how he or she will use certificate. Presumably, whoever wins your film festival has access to a camera, possibly something better than the regular-16 Kinor you're thinking about giving away, so I don't see much point in that, but everyone can use film, processing, or transfers. Again, just my two cents.

A better award, in my opinion, would be to give the winner a certificate for X number of dollars from a lab which offers film, processing, and video transfers (Spectra would be a good one), and let the winner decide how he or she will use certificate. Presumably, whoever wins your film festival has access to a camera, possibly something better than the regular-16 Kinor you're thinking about giving away, so I don't see much point in that, but everyone can use film, processing, or transfers. Again, just my two cents.

Agreed.

• Premium Member

I think what would get me REAL excited would be one to three 8 hour days with a real crew, working professionals ready to work on my short project. It's possible that working through the unions you could get a pro bono crew of real gunslingers. How sweet it would be to say to my AC "I want you to take her from the head of the shot, and when she turns to leave, take him" and then not have to spend ten minutes explaining how to do a focus pull to a newbie.

I know some festivals that do this. It has the advantage that it gets the filmmaker working on their next film. Cameras are usually less of a problem, you can rent them for a lot less than the stock and lab costs.

thanks for the suggestions, however, this particular festival is only for guerrilla filmers, people that have access only to s8, k3 or bolexes or similar (that will be one of the entry conditions). Also, people that develop film at home etc. Basically, everything that comes away from usual practices. The lab and transfer would also be included and as it is most likely that it will be a latin festival, I can't give bono labs certificate (but it's a good idea). Recently I had a camera problem when I was filming in Brazil and I could only rent one 400Km away from where I was at a frice of 800USD/day, therefore, a camera for the brazilian audience would be a great asset (in my opinion). Many thanks (and I still welcome suggestions for a camera).