How to light this room pt2

Now that we are three days away from shooting the other location has finally been found, and I was hoping for some more suggestions as to how others might light this room. Its supposed to be the flat for a couple of students that just graduated.

1. One scene will be lit by candle light and moonlight as the powers been cut and then

2. the power gets put back on and will be lit however I like, and there are day scenes and night scenes

3. We also have a bedroom scene that happens early morning, the bedroom is picture 3.

There are day time scenes and night time scenes, and it supposed to be lit low key.

If anyone has thoughts as to how they would approach a lighting set up for these situations that would be really helpful, thanks

post-18466-1178870693_thumb.jpg post-18466-1178870715_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nat Brunt

Guest Trevor Swaim

you need to tell us what you want to get out of the shot. what is the mood etc.

you need to tell us what you want to get out of the shot. what is the mood etc.

well the mood for the scenes taking place at these locations are supposed to all be low key and the place needs to feel warm and inviting to contrast the other scenes that are colder and sterile.

Here is the kit that we will working with...

2x4ft Kino - tungsten

2x300w arri

2x600w arri

1x150w dedo kit

2x1k pups

1x800w redhead

1x2k blonde

1x575 HMI

2x1.2K HMI

and a selection of Chinese lanterns

Edited by Nat Brunt

well the mood for the scenes taking place at these locations are supposed to all be low key and the place needs to feel warm and inviting to contrast the other scenes that are colder and sterile.

Here is the kit that we will working with...

2x4ft Kino - tungsten

2x300w arri

2x600w arri

1x150w dedo kit

2x1k pups

1x800w redhead

1x2k blonde

1x575 HMI

2x1.2K HMI

and a selection of Chinese lanterns

what are you shooting on?

night time candle lit

build a tent outside the window usin black (so you can shoot in the day if required) hmi 575 through some silk out side the window, candle, enhanced with a chinese lantern on a dimmer. for close ups use the kino blued up (or bounce a red head through some blue, off a polly board using the barn doors as a crude dimming device) to enhance.

what are you shooting on?

night time candle lit

build a tent outside the window usin black (so you can shoot in the day if required) hmi 575 through some silk out side the window, candle, enhanced with a chinese lantern on a dimmer. for close ups use the kino blued up (or bounce a red head through some blue, off a polly board using the barn doors as a crude dimming device) to enhance.

we have 8 rolls of 7217 and 2 of 7218.

when the lights come back on pepper the room with practicals with higher wattage bulbs use thes to motivat the scene.

for the morning bed scene 1.2 HMIthough the window and if you want it to look pretty, put a bit of smoke in the room.

I was on a shoot recently where we needed all night shots during the day. We put some duvetine on all the windows then keno's to simulate the moon, then you have a dark interior to light with your remaining lights.

Like Nat said you could bounce your 1.2 for some extra fill then use the china balls for some nice fill from the candle light. do you have a flicker box?

I was on a shoot recently where we needed all night shots during the day. We put some duvetine on all the windows then keno's to simulate the moon, then you have a dark interior to light with your remaining lights.

Like Nat said you could bounce your 1.2 for some extra fill then use the china balls for some nice fill from the candle light. do you have a flicker box?

unfortunately we don't have a flicker box, so at this point I was just planning on wiggling my fingers infront of the light we use to simulate the candlelight, any better ideas?

• Premium Member
I,m prety sure you can make a flicker box by wiring up some domestic candesent bulbs via a couple of flouresant starters. a gaffer showed me how to do it. i'll see if i can find out, exactly how.

I'd love to hear how this is done as well. Last time I had to do a flicker I was sitting on a 1K dimmer running to an Arri 650.