Canon XL1 vs. XL1S vs. XL2

Robert,

Of the three cameras the XL-2 is the newest model, with more features (24p mode, 16x9 mode, more image adjustent, built in XLR), so my general opinion would be to go for that. Should cost somewhere around $3400 US right now, if you find a price too much lower than that you should be careful, as there are a lot of potential scam websites out there.

Although it does depend on what you are looking to do. You may not neccessarily need the features of the XL-2, and if you have a small budget, then one of the older cameras may be what you need to go for. Not sure what the cost on the XL-1 models would be, but it would almost certainly be a used camera

Robert,

Of the three cameras the XL-2 is the newest model, with more features (24p mode, 16x9 mode, more image adjustent, built in XLR), so my general opinion would be to go for that. Should cost somewhere around $3400 US right now, if you find a price too much lower than that you should be careful, as there are a lot of potential scam websites out there.

Although it does depend on what you are looking to do. You may not neccessarily need the features of the XL-2, and if you have a small budget, then one of the older cameras may be what you need to go for. Not sure what the cost on the XL-1 models would be, but it would almost certainly be a used camera

Awesome! Thanks for the info Jeff. Really appreciate it.

Rob.

It also depends on what you're going to use it for. The XL-2's features are great, like Jeff was saying, however, do you NEED those features? COuld you perhaps get by with the XL-1S? Or perhaps another camera in general?

If you do need those features, then that camera is a great buy. However, I just purchased a DVX100B, with has built in XLR, 24p, 3CCD, etc, and it does everything I need, PLUS it is a fair bit cheaper. Perhaps take a look into the DVX, but if you have the money to spend (unlike a tight-budget student like myself) then go for the XL-2. It's the newest of the three and will last you a long time :)

Good luck!

Dan Goldberg..

It also depends on what you're going to use it for. The XL-2's features are great, like Jeff was saying, however, do you NEED those features? COuld you perhaps get by with the XL-1S? Or perhaps another camera in general?

If you do need those features, then that camera is a great buy. However, I just purchased a DVX100B, with has built in XLR, 24p, 3CCD, etc, and it does everything I need, PLUS it is a fair bit cheaper. Perhaps take a look into the DVX, but if you have the money to spend (unlike a tight-budget student like myself) then go for the XL-2. It's the newest of the three and will last you a long time :)

Good luck!

Dan Goldberg..

Hmm...well I too am a tight-budget student. I haven't heard of the DVX100B before. Is it any good? I should look into it before I make any decisions re the XL2. Thanks for the advice, Dan.

Rob.

Hmm...well I too am a tight-budget student. I haven't heard of the DVX100B before. Is it any good? I should look into it before I make any decisions re the XL2. Thanks for the advice, Dan.

Rob.

the DVX100B is amazing for the price, if you ask me. Check out this link for specs and pics : http://www.tristatecamera.com/lookat.php?r...u=PANAGDVX100B*

Edited by Dan Goldberg

Definitely check out the DVX as well, its also a good camera in the same range as the XL-2.

What are you planning on using the camera for? Short films? Practice? Event videos? Documentary? I know event videographers who do well with the Canon GL-2, not because its considered the "best" camera but it does exactly what they need and no more. They arent paying extra for features they will never really need or use. Choosing a camera can be a balancing act of what you need, what you would like to have and what you can afford. Of course there are also other considerations such as how comfortable the camera is for you personally to use.

If you can I would find a way to "test drive" some of these cameras to see which one you like.

• Premium Member

Both the XL2 and the DVX are amazing questions. IIRC the XL2 has interchangeable lenses whereas the DVX does now. however, you can get a DVX Andromeda for $6500 which will give you all kinds of "HD" capabilities. Personally, I don't like the Canon overall, as I don't like Canons; a personal preference. But, I am also not fond of the DVX's body shape (can't shoulder mount it).

As a student you will definitely want to find a camera which is both economical and, moreover, versatile. Talk with some of your professors as well, as I'm sure they'll be able to tell you what type of camera is best suited for your particular course of study (i.e. buying a video camera in a film intensive school probably wouldn't be the best of ideas)

Best of luck and good shooting

Also if your looking to buy you may want to consider getting a camera, that can go either Hd or Sd. the Cannon Xh-A1 can go either Hdv, or SD 24f, 30f, 60i. and it is about 100 dollars more that the Xl2 on b&h. its a great camera with a lot of options.

good luck!