Sony DCR-VX2100 camcorder

Hello,

I'm a first-time movie maker and I'm considering buying a Sony DCR-VX2100 camcorder. I'm making a sitcom pilot where the scenes take place inside Starbucks or inside an office. My total budget is $5,000, and I'll be editing on my PC.

>> Microphone

1) Should I get a Rode VideoMic (mono, $150) or a Rode Stereo VideoMic ($250)?

>> Lighting

1) Would an on-camera light (10 to 20 watts) work for indoor shooting at close range during the day?

2) Do I need different lights to shoot in Starbucks and an office with fluorescent lighting?

3) Do I need a filter kit (UV, haze, etc.)?

>> Accessory Shoe

1) Can I put both an on-camera light and an on-board microphone on the same accessory shoe or only one at a time?

>> Tripod

1) Do I need to spend $300 on a fluid head tripod or will a $50 tripod work? What's the difference?

Thanks!

Robert

San Diego

Hello,

I'm a first-time movie maker and I'm considering buying a Sony DCR-VX2100 camcorder. I'm making a sitcom pilot where the scenes take place inside Starbucks or inside an office. My total budget is $5,000, and I'll be editing on my PC.

>> Microphone

1) Should I get a Rode VideoMic (mono, $150) or a Rode Stereo VideoMic ($250)?

>> Lighting

1) Would an on-camera light (10 to 20 watts) work for indoor shooting at close range during the day?

2) Do I need different lights to shoot in Starbucks and an office with fluorescent lighting?

3) Do I need a filter kit (UV, haze, etc.)?

>> Accessory Shoe

1) Can I put both an on-camera light and an on-board microphone on the same accessory shoe or only one at a time?

>> Tripod

1) Do I need to spend $300 on a fluid head tripod or will a $50 tripod work? What's the difference?

Thanks!

Robert

San Diego

Hi Robert,

For many things you said, it all depends on what YOU want the film/show to look like. But I'll give my two cents :)

For the lighting, an on-camera light could be just what ou need if you aren't planning on any complex or unique lighting situations, since on-camera lighting is very limited. As well, the lighting in Starbucks, from experience actually gives a really interesting look to the interior. You may not need other lights at all, unless you find it too dark. If so, you could always alter the f-stops or gain.

As for tripod, the last thing you'd want is an unstable one, or one that isn't capable of carrying the weight of your camera. I'd suggest to look for a tripod with a center bar down the middle and for that center bar to be connected to the three legs. here's an example: http://www.vistek.ca/details/details.aspx?...ID=VideoTripods . That should do the trick. As for the fluid-head, personally I find them essential, since they are so easy to use and smooth, that it makes other types completely unsatisfactory. Try getting a 3-way fluid-head if you can; you may not need that particular head for this particular shoot, but these type of thigns really don't go obsolete, in technology terms. You'd have that head for a long time.

As for the microphone, it really depends on what you're capturing sound wise.

Hope that helped! :) And good luck!!

Dan Goldberg..