So, I'm planning on going to SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design) for college. (side note: Am I the only highschool student on here?) My mom just got a job there teaching foundations, and so when I go, I can get in scott-free easy-peasy. But I do actually have a big interest in art, especially photography, and I want to be a cinematographer because I'd just love to go into the film industry. (My dad's an editor.) My parents recently went to visit SCAD for a week (I didn't go because I had school) and my dad said that the film/video department looked amazing. After a pre-college course at CCA in Oakland, CA I'll be spending the rest of the summer in Savannah and will get to see the college then.

I know almost all the people here are professionals and I was wondering what your opinions were about SCAD and its film/video department. Also, is there anyone here who happens to teach at SCAD (or, more specifically, teach cinematography at SCAD)?

Hey Julia!

My name is Michael and I am currently a freshman finishing up my first year at SCAD. I am a film major, with high interest in cinematography and photography. I thought I could give you some insight on what to expect.

First off, before you step foot on campus... send your portfolio! You can get scholarship money. If you feel confident enough and have some good work, send a letter asking for any possible exemptions. I got out of taking Intro to Video.

Your first year will be spent knocking out General Study and Studio courses, with some Film classes added in the mix. Don't overlook the classes that arn't film, I have learned alot about lighting from Drawing courses and composition in Design classes.

Overall, my experience at SCAD has matured me and given me hunger to pursue my dreams. Looking foward to next year, with more FILM classes to be taken!

Cheers,

Michael Palm

Thanks Michael!

I don't think I'll mind taking the studio and other art classes. I'm pretty sure that even after the foundations classes that I'll still take some art classes other than just film classes if I've got the time.

Yea, I'm still going to send a portfolio. Hopefully I'll get some money out of it.

Do you have any classes with a teacher named Terry? She's a family friend of mine. I think she teaches foundations. I'm not sure.

Thanks Michael!

I don't think I'll mind taking the studio and other art classes. I'm pretty sure that even after the foundations classes that I'll still take some art classes other than just film classes if I've got the time.

Yea, I'm still going to send a portfolio. Hopefully I'll get some money out of it.

Do you have any classes with a teacher named Terry? She's a family friend of mine. I think she teaches foundations. I'm not sure.

I can't say I have had any classes with Terry, what does she teach?

What I have seen is if you send the portfolio, you will get money... question is: how much?

I got 5,000 a year. But keep your grades up or you will lose it.

Was your portfolio all photography and video? I've got mostly photography with a few drawing and painting things here and there, but I don't know if colleges would prefer you to send all photography if that's the area you plan to major in, or what.

• 7 months later...

I'm a senior in the film and television dept at scad. I'm also on the cinematography track.

Any questions I can answer?

We basically have (arguably) the best gear in the country. We have (21?) Avid Adrenaline systems, Not sure (12?) Avid Symphony systems, and that Nitrus DS system... not including all those final cut stations which I don't even know why we have. We have sound gear and sound rooms I haven't even explored yet, and they just redid our audio studio. It looks pro. And as far as cameras, we have a great selection. Besides the intro stuff (AG-DVC30's and AG-DVX100's). we have all those HVX's, the SDX's, Varicam, and the TWO Cinealtas (one being babied by the admins though). Then you have the film side, which is not much different from other film schools with Arri SRII's 16mm cameras and Moviecam 35mm film cameras (along with that SB and those fun Bolex's). But now we have that Panavision GII which is hard to get certified on to use, but is well worth it because it's kept in great condition.

Basically the gear is there for those who wish to push themselves to take advantage. Our disadvantages is not being located in LA, and therefore don't get superstar professors or guest lectures. Although scad is good at flying in speakers and we have that film festival (Savannah Film Festival)

Graduating from the program I feel like I got a great education, but if only I had more contacts!

Ask away if you have any questions.

Edited by Ryan Patrick OHara

Like most schools it depends on you to push hard. I saw people go by that didn't do much or showed up in senior project class that I had never seen in 4 years. Others of course are always working.

I was there during a transition period with a lot of faculty changes. In 2000 it was "what's a Scad?" by 2004 it was "oh yeah, of course I know about SCAD".

More and more I see people in LA who went to SCAD working in different sides of the industry.

I highly recommend this forum -- during my time there I learned more from David Mullen than many teachers, but luckily they are pretty good about letting you take out the gear, so go, shoot.

Also use the Jenn Library, they have so many great books, including bound issues of ASC mag from 1978 onwards (i spent a LOT of time with those).

Like the previous poster said, definately pay attention to the foundation courses - drawing, design, all that stuff is integral to cinematography. I took photo classes too that were great.

Annette Haywood-Carter, Matt Akers, John Drop are some of the better teachers that I had in the film dept. , but like I said, its up to you (Evan Smith I think is gone he was fantastic, but there is a lot of "new" blood that I hear is great of people with real industry experience).

However, the big disadvantage is the location. Since I went to LA, I worked with people from many difeent schools, and many are better trained in REAL set etiquete becuse they start working in the industry while at school. Camera wise, Chapman seems to prepare people technically really well. USC seems to "connect" better, but just develop youself during that time... formative years and all that.

If you have some more specific questions feel free to PM me.

(i try to check this site everyday, but its getting harder and harder when one is working)

Good Luck.

-felipe.

• Premium Member

You know I was sitting in a color correction class and we were bitching about SCAD because of all your AVIDs. Temple Univ here in Philadelphia is pretty much all FCP based. But, we have a large lighting package to rent out, and a lot of Aatons, so I don't complain. Sounds like you have a great program out there.

Remember, as Phil said. Don't pick at it.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an interesting note, I was doing a television pilot in Savannah a couple of years ago and happened to run into a director I'd done the series "In the Heat of the Night" with 15 years earlier who is now an instructor at SCAD. He is a veteran tv director and I was impressed that SCAD had him. His name is WInrich Kolbe.

I went to SCAD and worked in the equipment room at the film/TV building while I was there. It was the best education I could have ever asked for, and THEY paid ME! It's a great school. I can't think of anything to say about it that people on this forum haven't already mentioned, but I just wanted to contribute my two thumbs up. I know Prof. Kolbe...he had just started teaching when I was a senior there. Bear and Hofstein (oh my god if you value your academic future/life at all, DON'T call him Hofstein! It's PROFESSOR Hofstein! haha) are great too. I'm actually going back down there to visit (and maybe another interesting opportunity as well, but I can't tell you guys or I'll jinx it!) in a couple of weeks. I'm so excited it's ridiculous. In all honesty, if you had talked to me about SCAD back in '01-'02 or so when I first started, I might have even cursed them out...but once I pulled it together, stopped slacking, and found the film and television department, I really began to enjoy myself and see the school for what it is. And it's only getting better. Aw, I'm getting all gushy and sentimental just thinking about it. I am thrilled to hear that they still have the Panaflex too. I remember when we got that camera...it was like Christmas morning. :)